• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Resistance to antifungal shampoo

Dan M

I like Bobsleighing. Last week I sleighed 20 Bobs.
Ahoy.

I seem to be down to one shampoo (Pyrithione Zinc 2%) for treating dandruff. All the others are no longer effective (Ketoconazole 2%, Oilatum Ciclopirox Olamine, Tar, Selsun Selenium Sulphide 2.5%, Salicylic Acid 2.5%).

Is there any long term strategy here as not sure what happens when my current one no longer works.

Anyone else had this issue?

Cheers for any ideas.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Hallo Dan,

I don´t know the issue you ´re adressing here, but

I had a fungus problem most likely with candida albicans (served by caffeine, manganese, carbs and meat), which resolved after intake of vitB5 especially in combination with vitB3, small resp. very small amounts only, say in tea or yoghurt.

I tried antifungals on my feet, but they strangely didn´t work any sufficiently.

Dan M

Hallo Dan,

I don´t know the issue you ´re adressing here, but

I had a fungus problem most likely with candida albicans (served by caffeine, manganese, carbs and meat), which resolved after intake of vitB5 especially in combination with vitB3, small resp. very small amounts only, say in tea or yoghurt.

I tried antifungals on my feet, but they strangely didn´t work any sufficiently.

Hi percyval577.

Thanks for your response.

I react adversely to supplements so I imagine the route for me is a topical solution?

Learner1

Hi percyval577.

Thanks for your response.

I react adversely to supplements so I imagine the route for me is a topical solution?
You can take supplements topically in oil or cream form. They can also be injected.

What is the problem you're trying to solve with the shampoo? These products arent meant for long term use. Why is your issue persisting?

And, why can't you take oral supplements? All, or specific ones? As a multivitamin or separate?

Nutrient deficiencies or imbalances can lead to intolerance of various substances, so it becomes a vicious cycle

Dan M

You can take supplements topically in oil or cream form. They can also be injected.

What is the problem you're trying to solve with the shampoo? These products arent meant for long term use. Why is your issue persisting?

And, why can't you take oral supplements? All, or specific ones? As a multivitamin or separate?

Nutrient deficiencies or imbalances can lead to intolerance of various substances, so it becomes a vicious cycle

Hi Learner1.

I'm trying to plan ahead for when no antifungal shampoo I can get over the counter works as I would then have permanent itchy flaky scalp. I don't know why it persists, exhausted/compromised immune system from ME/CFS?

I use them once a week for long term dandruff control. Had a blast of dandruff 15 years ago, then stayed on Ketaconazole once a week for around 10 years, then it stopped working and so tried alternatives listed above which worked for years or some for just months.

I react to all oral supplements unfortunately, also injected supplements.

Lisa108

Have you tried piroctone olamine ("octopirox")? I am using Sebamed Anti-Dandruff Shampoo since years now and it is still working. Had the same problem with "resistance" with ketoconazol-products etc. before.

Don't know about the UK, but in Germany you can buy piroctone olamine powder and mix it into any shampoo.

Dan M

Have you tried piroctone olamine ("octopirox")? I am using Sebamed Anti-Dandruff Shampoo since years now and it is still working. Had the same problem with "resistance" with ketoconazol-products etc. before.

Don't know about the UK, but in Germany you can buy piroctone olamine powder and mix it into any shampoo.

Hi Lisa.

Yes I forgot to add I have tried piroctone olamine (Sebclair) as well unfortunately it has no effect.

Dan M

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Any brands in particular?

Not that I have tried. With my chemical sensitivities I have a hard time finding shampoos, even organic ones without fragrance. I have sometimes poured some tea tree oil in my hand and then the dish soap I use for shampoo and that combination felt nice and helped with the itchiness.

I have slight dandruff but had to use pyrithione zinc shampoos when I was a teen because the flakes were nickel size (sorry, not sure what the UK money equivalent of that would be).

I am using the pyrithione zinc now in a soap bar that has no fragrance and then I follow that up with the free and clear dish soap. This is the soap bar I use but wow, it's seems to be really expensive on Amazon's UK site. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vanicream-...eywords=Vanicream+Z-Bar&qid=1613523269&sr=8-1

Oh, and I just remembered in many reviews I've read for neem oil that some people use that to treat their dandruff. I put in "neem oil for dandruff" on that same UK site and these are some of the results that were returned: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=neem+o...+oil+dandr,aps,256&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_1_14