• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Research on ME/CFS and Pregnancy?

@Texas83 Hmmm... it is interesting how some get better and some worse. Perhaps your hormones went a different way to others although who knows. I only brought this up because I stumbled upon a study showing estriol use helped MS and some other people (non ME males) have been reporting improvements with it. I think it is messing with immunity some how. Might try estriol at some point but I am very wary being male so I was hoping some women would pipe up who tried it.
Sorry, I meant to respond sooner, but got the flu :( I have tried estrogen/progesterone in the form of several birth control pills. They made me seriously, seriously ill and I think they could have even caused or contributed to my CFS state, because I began my decline after taking them. They caused all kinds of other problems for me. Estrogen is well known to cause many issues including clots and certain types of cancer.
I tried a "natural" progesterone later on and it caused massive problems for me-extreme depression and anxiety.
As for the HCG, I was very affected in all of my pregnancies by that hormone. I threw up at least 2x at day from Week 5-Week 16... so I wouldn't recommend taking that.
I don't mean to be discouraging. It's an interesting idea, it's just that hormones can be very powerful and I think they have the capacity to make things much worse. There are some tests you can get that look at your estrogen levels- it breaks it down to E1, E2, and E3. There are natural ways to modify estrogen.. I think Iso-phos was a supplement I took under a doctor one time, but I would not recommend it without testing.

I agree about the increased blood volume being a potential reason why some women feel better during pregnancy. I have extremely low vasopressin and I think I read that many with CFS have low vasopressin.

I was one that felt much worse during pregnancy and after was horrible. I get weekly IVs of lactated ringers which seem to help a bit. Sorry, I didn't mean to sound discouraging about the hormone idea. I think hormones could play a role in this illness, it's just that I have had really severe effects from birth control pills and pregnancy hormones.