• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Red wine benefits linked to better gut health

IThinkImTurningJapanese

Red wine benefits linked to better gut health, study finds

A new study from King’s has found that people who drank red wine had an increased gut microbiota diversity (a sign of gut health) compared to non-red wine drinkers as well as an association with lower levels of obesity and 'bad' cholesterol.
red-wine.x5e0aa5a1.png

In a paper published today in the journal Gastroenterology, a team of researchers from the Department of Twin Research & Genetic Epidemiology at King’s explored the effect of beer, cider, red wine, white wine and spirits on the gut microbiome (GM) and subsequent health in a group of 916 UK female twins. They found that the GM of red wine drinkers was more diverse compared to non-red wine drinkers. This was not observed with white wine, beer or spirits consumption.
First author of the study, Dr Caroline Le Roy said: “While we have long known of the unexplained benefits of red wine on heart health, this study shows that moderate red wine consumption is associated with greater diversity and a healthier gut microbiota that partly explain its long debated beneficial effects on health.”

Moof

Really?!! :wide-eyed:

People have got me to taste loads of red wines over the years, convinced that I'd just had a bad one. They ALL tasted really strongly of 'off' fruit – and worse still, vinegar, which is so nasty it makes me heave just thinking of it.

I'm autistic, though, which means my sense of taste and smell is amplified several times over. Years ago I used to drink bottled water, and if you'd given me half a dozen different brands in unmarked glasses, I'd immediately have been able to identify all of them. They tasted as vastly different to me as Pepsi and Coke.

So ignore me, I'm just an oddity! :lol:

Wolfcub

Well....that is excellent news ! :lol:
A slight improvement this summer made it possible for me to enjoy alcohol again (I had a bad time with it last year) I use to like red wine -a really smooth Merlot was my choice. I like Port wine too. But gave it up last year as suspected it was a "perpetrator".
I did feel a little better for a short time after stopping drinking anything red like that.
So it wasn't just the resveratrol, but something else maybe that the wine contained? Or maybe simply, the alcohol?
But then it was a free-for -all and nothing made sense, but I definitely couldn't drink much of anything.

Now....happy halleluia....it seems to suit me again ! :_
Weird but interesting.

So thanks for your good news @IThinkImTurningJapanese :thumbsup:

Wolfcub

Years ago I used to drink bottled water, and if you'd given me half a dozen different brands in unmarked glasses, I'd immediately have been able to identify all of them. They tasted as vastly different to me as Pepsi and Coke.
Yes I have that thing with bottled water too. There are only a couple I like.

Wishful

I'm not going to bother to read the paper to find out, but I wonder if this is just a statistical link between the dietary choices of people with different taste perceptions. Maybe people who choose to drink red wine eat a greater variety of foods, or choose to eat more bitter foods (healthy veggies) than people who drink white wine. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if a large percentage of beer drinkers had really poor diets (fast food, heavily processed meat&carbs, etc). People who choose spirits may be less picky about diets than red wine drinkers. I'm not talking about connoisseurs, but rather the majority, since this is statistical stuff.

People have got me to taste loads of red wines over the years, convinced that I'd just had a bad one. They ALL tasted really strongly of 'off' fruit – and worse still, vinegar, which is so nasty it makes me heave just thinking of it.

I don't think I'm overly sensitive to tastes, but I just never developed a taste for fermented drinks. Given a choice, I'd probably ask for fresh grape juice rather than even a highly-rated wine. I don't care for beer either. Liquors can be nice, but that's flavoured sugar dissolved in alcohol + water.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

I'm not going to bother to read the paper to find out, but I wonder if this is just a statistical link between the dietary choices of people with different taste perceptions. Maybe people who choose to drink red wine eat a greater variety of foods, or choose to eat more bitter foods (healthy veggies) than people who drink white wine.

That's a very good question. ;)