• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Randomized Control Study Shows 1200 mg of NAC Daily Dramatically Reduces Flu Severity - "May" Be Applicable to COVID

Wayne

I thought I'd post this for those who are considering whether or not to get a flu vaccine. I was recently watching a short YouTube video on NAC, and came across a description of a randomized control study that was done years ago in Italy. The study essentially showed the difference between a group of people taking 1200 mg of NAC daily and those who didn't, and what happened when they were exposed to the flu. Here's a link to the PubMed article.

Attenuation of influenza-like symptomatology and improvement of cell-mediated immunity with long-term N-acetylcysteine treatment

Those taking 1200 mg daily of NAC only experienced flu symptoms 25% of the time after exposure, compared to 80% of those who took no NAC. That strikes me as being a PHENOMENAL outcome, seemingly much better than flu vaccines. My understanding is flu vaccines are only about 50% effective, whereas the above results would seem to show a much better outcome. The above linked video is fairly short, and I started it at the place where he talks about the trial. It's only about 2 minutes to get the gist of it.

The speaker "speculates" these results would likely apply to COVID-19 as well. I have my doubts however that vaccine manufacturers (with their tens of billions of dollars in annual profits from the COVID-19 vaccine) would be much interested in seeing studies done on the benefits of NAC supplementation and the reduction of COVID severity. My best guess is NAC would be shown to be far more effective than current COVID vaccines, and have literally zero "side effects".

Last edited: