• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Puzzling Symptom: Bending over leads to crash

MariaMagdalena

So I've read a little about POTS, and I don't think I have it. I have the cognitive problems instead, but.... I have this weird thing where if I bend over my "energy clock" (I picture my energy reserves as a clock ticking steadily) runs super fast and I can crash from this. Even if I get down on the floor to do a low job this also happens. No weeding for me thanks. Its not really pain that does it. It feels more cardiovascular or something. My hubby has had to take over the litter box duty for me because of this.

What I was wondering is whether this fits in the category of POTS, or something else? Anyone else have this?

Hufsamor

I've learned that bending over takes more energy than almost every other task.

We learned to never, ever bend over.
Sit down to put on the shoes.
If you are washing with a bucket, keep the bucket on a chair or a table.

I had a dog I had to dress before we went out.
(She was a naked dog, and the winters here are cold)
I could never understand why I was so crushed after dressing her,
the dressing took 3- 5 min, but felt worse than a 20 min walk with the dog.

After I learned about this bending I made the dog stand on a table when I dressed her, and the difference was rather surprising....
For a while I even kept my litter box on the table.

(For your questions about pots, I don't know)

taniaaust1

I have POTS and I have a lot of trouble with any form of postural changes eg bending over. My whole body seems not to adapt to postural changes well. It's fairly easy to find out if one has POTS or not by doing an at home POTS test (you can either take your own pulse during it or use a BP monitor.. you just to compare a stable laying reading with one in which you are being still and standing for 10mins)

Pearshaped

It would probably be more interesting to monitor your blood pressure.
First when lying down then stand up and check BP every minute for 10min.If your BP is dropping continuously while standing for few minutes,its probably worth to go and see a doc for further investigations.
Issues with bending over is very familiar here as well.Let us know what you have found out.

Seven7

Seven
Oh! I didn't know this. I'll have to investigate.
Yes I have pots and avoid bending over. Do you get tired by raising your arms above your heart also
? You can do poor's men tilt table test to test yourself for POTs while you see a doctor. You can have other types of Orhtostatic INtolerance so is best you see an electrophisiologyst (type of cardiologist) to get evaluated.