• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Progesterone, cortisol, and oestrogen

I have some very specific questions about progesterone in Men. If you're unsure what I'm asking please feel free to ask me to clarify.

I have two questions. I hope somebody can help me understand this.

1 - If I go through a period of stress, my body will produce more Cortisol than normal. Too much Cortisol leads to the depletion of Progesterone. Progesterone is needed to oppose estrogen in men. If this goes on for long enough a man (yes, and a woman) can become estrogen Dominant (too much estrogen relative to Testosterone). By lowering stress and thus.. reducing cortisol, my progesterone levels should return to normal levels. If that is the case then why wouldn't it counter the extra estrogen in my body automatically and remove the effects of estrogen dominance? Why would I continue to suffer the symptoms of estrogen dominance?

2 - If I was to take some form of Progesterone (the method is not important for this question), and my progesterone levels are restored, why would my progesterone levels stay restored after I stop taking the progesterone supplement (cream or otherwise)? I'm interested in understanding how Progesterone keeps on opposing estrogen even when I stop taking it? By using progesterone what am I trying to achieve? Where is the turning point back to full health?

I've been knocking around in the hormone trail for some time.

You suffer from too much stress.

You have been estranged dominate.
One side is not producing enough you get one side producing too much to make up the difference.

Yet you can rebalance the hormones.

Basic neutrican principles probably apply you need to buid up one element in order to take on board or lock in another.

As in Calcium and Vit D and hence Vit C.

Too much stress breaks these complexes down.