• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Problems Driving

taniaaust1

Yesterday again I thought I am definately well enough to try for a sickness claim now lol .

Its irronic isnt it. I was too sick to be able to apply for a disability pension for a long time. I even tried living off of 10-15hrs work per week (as that was all I could do).. used up all my savings etc as I knew I was too sick to be put throu the whole applying thing and sure enough it was hell when I finally had no choice to do it or starve.

I then had to go throu 3 appeals to get it!! A total nightmare and this whole process made me sicker and I never recovered from that. (time and time again gov depts have put me throu something or done something which has crashed me and I havent been able to recover again.. so my ME/CFS gets worst and worst).

It sure says something is very wrong with the system when we know we are too sick to even be applying for what we should be getting.

taniaaust1

A year ago I asked her, my regular doc to run some labs. She did. Now she has thrown it in my face twice that she did it, that my insurance paid and she can't even use the labs to treat me. She is clueless about ME/CFS.

Well I didn't hold a gun to her head. She could have easily said no. So shut up about it.

We got into a fight about something else, she refused to take ownership that she said something even though it was in writing what she said.

Also, at my last appt i was very hot, exhausted and wanted to show her something on my hand she was looking at. She got pissed and told me if I didn't stop, she would ask me to leave the office.

Well screw her. I don't need to be talked to that way and the fact she was clueless as to how much stress i was under just shows.

Plus when she is not there she has a horrible assistant who has twice given me RX's that were totally wrong for what the problem was so didn't help and wasted my money.

I'm get ting pissed talking about this so I need to stop.

That's inexcusable. I hope you find a better doctor soon.

I hope you both find better doctors to support you.

Golden. I hope you not feeling deserving enough to get disability support payments isnt coming at all from what naive doctors have thought of you and this condition. You may want to consider if you have been brainwashed at all into thinking what you do some, about not being deserving for support payments. When people put out at us all the time that we just arent that sick.. it can have quite negative impacts to how we think about ourselves.,

put another in your situation into your shoes? would that person be deserving enough to be getting support payments?

golden

I was having actually sudden unconscious pass outs when upright and no doctor at that point got my licence taken away! and I was forced to drive unsafe (for centrelink appointments and others). They didnt care I was driving and just ignored me when I was saying it was dangerous for me to drive.. they obviously played down my issues due to me having ME/CFS.

Irronically a doctor finally got my licence taken from me after I'd already stopped driving myself and sold my car knowing Im too unsafe. (He got my licence cancelled behind my back. I then went to a different doctor and got it given back to me. Its not like Im dumb and dont know that Im not safe to drive!!! I do thou even thou I got rid of my car and dont drive, I do want to hold my licence still for the day I recover enough to be safe to drive or that I could drive in an extreme emegency situation (It would to be a very ununsual extreme situation so is quite unlikely to ever occur).

These doctors out there with their ME ignorance in which they tell people to ignore their symptoms, are putting people in danger. It wont be your doctor up for damages if you have an accident in the car. I have had car accidents due to the ME/CFS (back when I was having gov depts forcing me to drive to their appointments and not listening to me that I wasnt safe to be doing so).. it costed me a lot of money! (esp if you are as unlucky as I was and hit a new car).

If you know your brain is being very slow to react to situations, you are like a drunk driver on the road and just awaiting for a disaster to happen. (it may not be you which causes an accident but the lack of being able to respond quickly enough to avoid another doing something dumb .. and that could be a little child running across a road in which you are too slow to break). With my brain how it is, I cannot instantly react to things... everything takes time for me to think over.

Fortunately, i have always had warning when i needed to lie down - and have never instantly blacked out. - that is awful.

Although i have been known to throw myself into bushes and on park benches to urgently get lieing down - not to mention the floor. It was only the advice on PR that finally made sense of why and what was going on phyically with me.

The sly doctor removiing your license is just another example of a power trip. Who wasnt doing it for your best interests - as you say you know yourself when not to drive - as do i.

It was when my G.P. Encouraged me to his aggressive yogi breathing srssions that gave me my latest relapse that years later i am still trying to get back to baseline - but he didnt care i was driving home afterwards and i was in no state to be doing so - i collapsed a couple of times on my patio after these sessions. I managed myself so well i NEVER collapsed like that before doing these sessions.

Doctors and psychologists SHOULD be being held responsible. In fact it was the arrogant practice managers fault that my sickness clsim ran out. I was trying to organise another sickness note via phone and email and he was adamant i had to go into surgery.

I told him i could not drive and there was no public transport and i wasnt well enough anyway. So again - i was put under considersble pressure to drive to the doctors.

I was unable and so i lost my claim. Its always the way - those thst should be helping us are instead csusing untold problems.

Same thing when I had the lumps appear around my ear and tremendous head pressure - i was supposed to go for MRI - but couldnt drive there.... They didnt tell me i could get an ambulance etc. They just dont care, are not sensible nor practical in their advice.

God when i did crawl in the nurse suggested i get a charity job! and have a baby - since i was single she said with anyone , a one night stand!!!!!!!!!!!!!

golden

Its irronic isnt it. I was too sick to be able to apply for a disability pension for a long time. I even tried living off of 10-15hrs work per week (as that was all I could do).. used up all my savings etc as I knew I was too sick to be put throu the whole applying thing and sure enough it was hell when I finally had no choice to do it or starve.

I then had to go throu 3 appeals to get it!! A total nightmare and this whole process made me sicker and I never recovered from that. (time and time again gov depts have put me throu something or done something which has crashed me and I havent been able to recover again.. so my ME/CFS gets worst and worst).

It sure says something is very wrong with the system when we know we are too sick to even be applying for what we should be getting.

It is a farse.

What i also fear is having a relapse around them. I actually dont want their brand of 'help'! Its been one of my blessings from the Doctor who first diagnosed M.E. And told me nothing can be done go away and deal with it. And that was that. They have only ever made my life worse. Whether its vaccinations/daily tears worth of antibiotics - giving me severe candida probs. And the denying the antibiotics anything to do wiyh it/ ro-accutane . All made everything worse.

Their level of basic knowledge is so primitive its like the dark ages. The further away from them - the better my overall wellbeing!

I also think i may have a permanent relapse under their 'care'. as they havent a clue.

Your department of health is criminal for the way it has treated you and messed you around with their games. I hope your advocate is on the ball when she gets well.

golden

That's inexcusable. I hope you find a better doctor soon.

I hope you both find better doctors to support you.

Golden. I hope you not feeling deserving enough to get disability support payments isnt coming at all from what naive doctors have thought of you and this condition. You may want to consider if you have been brainwashed at all into thinking what you do some, about not being deserving for support payments. When people put out at us all the time that we just arent that sick.. it can have quite negative impacts to how we think about ourselves.,

put another in your situation into your shoes? would that person be deserving enough to be getting support payments?

I absolubtely feel people with M.E. cfs deserve full payouts for life.

I am at peace with having to bypass this route for now and living off Gods good humour :)

Its a culmination of having no support, no decent doc, not being able to fill out forms do the interviews do the appeals, also i want to feel free to go out andcpush myself uf i want without feeling paranoid of being 'caught out at my best' -and i definately dont want to be caught out at my worst being vulnerable.

Last edited:

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
I gave up my license and my car. I know I'm not safe to drive, as I cannot pay attention to where I am going and the road as well, not to mention maintaining a lookout for unexpected happenings. And other similar problems, you can guess the gist of them.

I use a paratransit service, or a family member drives me. But I don't really go anywhere other than the doctor anymore. I hope to change that in the future, but I need a bit more health and wheels. Not a car, as I still don't expect to be able to drive one, but a motorized wheelchair.

Paratransit didn't need doc approval. They walked a spot of sidewalk with me, and noticed when I went from slow to slower, and got short of breath. I didn't need to convince them I wasn't faking it, wasn't exaggerating, and wasn't suffering from primary deconditioning. They just cared that I needed their service.

Last edited: