• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Potentially homeless after alarm upgrade

Womble

My parents installed a new lead battery into their burglar alarm, and I am no longer
able to sleep in their house.

The old alarm battery was 7 years old, so its possible that the new battery just increased
the power and EMF. There is also one part of the alarm that is wireless that might have
been awakened, so to speak. It might be chemical sensitivity, but I somehow doubt it.

So I am potentially homeless now, just wondering if anyone has any theories on how to
fix this problem? Would a different battery help, a lesser voltage? Is it possible the
wireless signal was running on low power before, and is now increased?

Thanks

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Is it not possible to get a similar battery - old stock?? I don't really know - but feel so sorry for your situation, hope you can find something to work so that you can carry on living there - could you just have the alarm on when you're out of the house or is it for during the nightime?

Womble

Its called a BATTERY: 12V-7AH SEALED LEAD A.

Does that tell you more about possible toxicity or EMF issues?

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
My purely unprofessional assumption is that if it is sealed, lead toxicity would not be a problem.

Is there somewhere in the house that is farther from the battery than where you are now sleeping where you could try sleeping?

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
An alarm system should not cause much EMF, unless it is the wireless portion. The alarm system should be wired in with the rest of the house. The battery is just for power outages, so the alarm system will still work. A sealed lead acid battery might have a ventilation tube on it, but I'm not sure. My system uses a dry cell backup battery.

Womble

MIRACLE!

I solved this problem, and I will describe how I did it, in case this ever happens to anyone else who suffers from EMF sensitivity.

I tried everything, including removing the battery, and shutting of the wireless zone, but that did not fix it. Finally, in desperation, I tried setting off the alarm by just opening a door as if I was breaking into my house :), and then I punched in the code to deactivate.

By some miracle, this seemed to reset the circuitry in some way, and there was no longer any EMF or signals generated throughout the house. So when the technician came out here, he must have rebooted the entire system and created a strong electrical circuit, and I broke the circuit he created by setting off the alarm.

I'm not an electricity expert, and so I'm still not exactly sure how this worked. But trust me, this EMF I was experiencing was extremely strong, and I had not slept for days and was in extreme pain and in danger of collapse.

Extremely lucky!

Thanks for all your support and advice,
Womble

Last edited:

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Very possible an alarm system can build up a "static" charge over time. When I used to be an IT geek over a large office for Weyerhaeuser, we had several computers that would not start in the winter time due to the dry air and the carpet and sets would build a static charge up right in the little power button.

Unplug the power cord and hold the power button in for 15 seconds. Plug the cord back in and they would start just fine for a few weeks and they would do it again. After winter wound down they were no problem again until the next winter.

Womble

Very possible an alarm system can build up a "static" charge over time. When I used to be an IT geek over a large office for Weyerhaeuser, we had several computers that would not start in the winter time due to the dry air and the carpet and sets would build a static charge up right in the little power button.

Unplug the power cord and hold the power button in for 15 seconds. Plug the cord back in and they would start just fine for a few weeks and they would do it again. After winter wound down they were no problem again until the next winter.

I found the solution, read above :)