• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please tell the Huffington Post that autoimmune disease is not a psychological disorder caused by childhood trauma

lenora

Hi Yip....I still don't know where to post a reply, but understand that you're not in any better a condition to determine this than I am. Confusing, isn't it? It should be more straightforward, although even our local newspaper is just as confusing. My husband always manages plenty, though. Yours, Lenora.

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
I still don't know where to post a reply
Oddly enough, I don't think Huffington Post has letters to the editor. I think maybe this is because it's an online publication. There is a place where you can comment on an article if you are able to sign in through either a Facebook or Twitter account--it's the little speech bubble on the left side of the screen.
1581004643234.png

But if you don't have Facebook or Twitter, I'm not sure if there is a way to respond.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I still don't know where to post a reply, but understand that you're not in any better a condition to determine this than I am.
You might check out the article and see if there's a comment section a the end. You could post your reply there, and also post a request for a direct link to the Letters To The Editor ..... or see if there are any links at the top of the article that might get you closer to your target :)....

lenora

Hi YippeeKi Yow!!...That's a good idea about trying to use a link to the Letters to the Editor, and will undertake that immediately. Thanks for the tip. Yours, Lenora.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@lenora
Hi lenora …. wondering what you say you repeatedly tried, and if you tried google. Obvious, but pretty much the only move left.

Here's a link I googled for Huffington Post. The rest is up to you .....I never want to hear Huffington Post again :bang-head::bang-head::bang-head: :nervous::nervous:!!!
https://www.huffpost.com/static/contact-us

As I think @RebeccaRe noted, HuffPo, as it's now known, doesn't really have a Letters To The Editor page or site.

If this doesn;t work, you could try doing a google search. Easy to do, yields a wealth of information.

My work here is done.

Last edited:

knackers323

@starlily88 stress likely does have some role to play in a lot of cases of illness.
Some more than others

It has apparently been found that cfs can be pretty reliably triggered by taking cortisol medications at the time of an infection

There are threads discussing it here on PR

Until the cause is found, we can’t dismiss any theory.

What are the causes for MS and lupus that you say have been found?

here is a quote of some of the discussion on PR about stress, cortisol and cfs below

Dr John Chia, who is known for his meticulous investigations into his ME/CFS patients' medical histories, discovered a fascinating association between corticosteroid prescriptions and ME/CFS. Dr Chia found that when patients came down with acute enterovirus infection, and were inadvertently mis-prescribed corticosteroids, this was almost a recipe for creating ME/CFS. Chia said he has literally hundreds of patients who developed ME/CFS as a result being given corticosteroids during acute viral infection. There is a thread about this here.

Since stress can lead to elevated cortisol, such stress, in combination with an acute viral infection, could mimic exactly the corticosteroid mis-prescription circumstances Dr Chia describes.

It's hard to figure out exactly why acute viral infection + corticosteroids = ME/CFS, but one simplistic explanation might be that the immunosuppression of corticosteroids allows the acute viral infection to penetrate into body tissue compartments it would not normally enter (like the brain), or to infect cell types it would not normally infect, and thereby allow the virus to insinuate itself more deeply into the body, making it harder to clear.

xebex

@knackers323 this is fascinating thanks for this information, it aligns with my own onset of ME, even though corticosteroids were not involved. I spent 4 years in an extreme state of stress, break up, toxic work environment, and sleep deprivation non-stop for 4 years caused by my noisy neighbours, plus training hard as a competitive cyclist. I managed this stressful life fairly successfully for 4 years until i had a travel vaccination, within two days of that my life was changed forever. I guess the constant high cortisol levels and then the immune activation from the vaccine is what triggered it.