• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please help! ME Child Abuse by Medical Professionals

Countrygirl

Please help!​

ME and Long Covid ME child abuse by medical professionals.

For some months there have been two particularly distressing cases that have been gathering pace since the publicity campaign for Alice. These two involve children: one is a case where SS and the paediatrician are determined to remove the child and have her fostered as she has failed to recover within six months; the second is a severely ill teenager where the hospital is being 'very difficult' and refusing re-hydration for a child who cannot tolerate much nutrition or fluids via tube, amongst other problems with certain lead consultants.

There is now a twitter campaign as the authorities are denying the parents and children their basic rights.

The families do not want to be named or details given, but please retweet and raise the issue far and wide.

Please tag @Alder Hey (Children's hospital in Liverpool)

Here is the thread roll:

https://twitter.com/binitakane/status/1673415909359091714...
Of all the things I thought I would do in my career, I didn’t think it would be getting involved with cases of children being denied life-saving treatment, or very sick children being removed by court order from their parents due to ‘factitious illness and FND’ 1/

I’m utterly horrified at what is happening to some children with #longcovid. History repeating itself - this has happened for decades to kids with #MECFS. These kids desperately need care and treatment.

When will the medical profession wake up? 2/

How many more children and young people need to die before action is taken? It’s one of the biggest scandals in medical history and no one talks about it within medicine. It’s devastating to walk with the families going through this
💔
3/

There is a power system in place to disadvantage people with conditions like ME & Long Covid.I was part of the establishment that taught me to think in a certain way (therefore was part of the problem through no fault of my own). It took lived experience for me to ‘wake’ to it.

The only way to change things is from within the power structure. But it’s hard when up against institutional machinery that stops the ‘right thing’ from happening at every turn. Most families can’t advocate for themselves and need people like me to speak out 5/
How do we change it?

It will take collective effort, but it’s possible and I hope the tide is slowly changing.

It needs to be a movement, many voices asking for change. We need a call to action. We need to lobby. We need our leaders to care 6/

We need to find compassion and bravery from within the health service to help these children. To put ego, self-interest and arrogance aside and really listen to patients. To think ‘is it possible that we’re wrong?’, ‘is there a different way’?
7/

For now we keep fighting, I just hope it’s not too late for the young people involved.