• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Personal variation in blood glucose responses to same foods

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Another one for the non-existent diet/food forum (hint hint :D).

'Healthy' foods differ by individual

Date: November 19, 2015
Source: Cell Press

Summary:

Ever wonder why that diet didn't work? A new study tracking the blood sugar levels of 800 people over a week suggests that even if we all ate the same meal, how it's metabolized would differ from one person to another. The findings demonstrate the power of personalized nutrition in helping people identify which foods can help or hinder their health goals.

Science Daily full text here.

Jenny TipsforME

Also, People-of-Phoenix-Rising-who-have-acquired-extensive-medical-knowledge I'd be interested to know what you make of my mmol/l (https://tipsforme.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/blood-glucose.pdf)
upload_2016-2-28_9-50-10.png

9.9mmol/l is the same as 178mg/dl.
7.8mmol/l is the same as 140mg/dl.

I've tested more things since this confirming I'm a Carb Sensitive but not helped by fat (eg spag bol is OK if half portion of pasta).

Compared to my partner my blood sugar has a lot more variation. I don't seem good at keeping it in a narrow band. I'm not diabetic from fasting tests and I think this is an ME thing (there are a couple of studies which indicate impaired glucose uptake in ME). Has anyone else looked into this as an ME thing?

I've read that glucose over 7.8mmol/l (140mg/dl) causes damage so I'm keen to correct. Does anyone know how common it is for non-diabetics to get these sorts of readings? It's hard to decipher information online because so much is aimed at people who know they are diabetic.

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-28_9-32-4.png
    upload_2016-2-28_9-32-4.png
    523.3 KB · Views: 8

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
No time to spare, I'm afraid - I posted the item for the interest of others. My blood glucose seems fine.

Back