• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Paresthesia when eating food

SmokinJoeFraz93

I don’t know if this is neurological or not as I didn’t know what category to put this post in.

For one month I have been on a ketogenic diet, and have decided to come off the diet because of the worsening in fatigue (particularly my legs and brain fatigue that on times I can’t even do meditation due to the tiredness).

I did notice that I didn’t have the paresthesia when eating a Keto diet, but today as I introduced whole grains etc etc, almost instantly I felt a horrible ‘prickly’ sensation over my arms, hands and head. I also get this sensation whenever I’m warm, have a shower, feel anxious or even lifting heavy objects (which is rare).

Any ideas guys? It’s really annoying and getting me down.

Cheers.

Tammy

These are my thoughts based on what I have learned from Anthony William. #1) The high fat Keto diet is hard on the liver and adrenals. High fat = sluggish, clogged up liver making it hard to do it's job of detoxing. Also when the liver gets sluggish, it cannot hold on to precious vitamins/minerals as well as when it is working at its best. #2) You weren't getting enough glucose which the brain and liver so desperately need. When your body isn't getting enough glucose , the adrenals are triggered. It's critical for the body to get the glucose it needs.............from healthy food of course.

Regarding the paresthesia. (Again, this is just my opinion based on my experience with diet/symptoms and as I mentioned before what I have learned from Anthony). Those prickly sensations are from big time inflammation to the nerve endings. What I believe now is that a virus (from herpetic family) is causing this inflammation. According to Anthony..........there are certain foods that will feed the virus and wheat is one of them..............so when you re-introduced grains.........it aggravated the virus and thus the nerve endings. Taking a warm shower is enough also to trigger the nerve endings. You have a very sensitive central nervous system due to inflammation. I had horrible paresthesia.........mostly just from the knees down. I no longer have the prickly/tingling, numbing symptoms.........UNLESS I start cheating on the diet.

SmokinJoeFraz93

Thank you for your reply. It completely makes sense. So would you say avoid grains? Or doesn’t it matter unless I’m eating rubbish food (sugar etc etc). I’m going back to a diet of no added sugar, gluten free, as I’m sensitive to gluten.

As for the nerves, I’m soon about to start high dose b12 therapy, so hopefully a lot of my issues will become resolved (paresthesia one of them).

Starsister

Thank you for your reply. It completely makes sense. So would you say avoid grains? Or doesn’t it matter unless I’m eating rubbish food (sugar etc etc). I’m going back to a diet of no added sugar, gluten free, as I’m sensitive to gluten.

As for the nerves, I’m soon about to start high dose b12 therapy, so hopefully a lot of my issues will become resolved (paresthesia one of them).
I have a lot of trouble with what one dr said is parasthesia, another allodynia which seems better fit for me. But I’ve noticed I don’t do so well with carbs, even whole grains like rice or wheat.. but today I tried the Ezekiel brand if multigrain cereal..as I have good luck with their low carb sprouted grain bread... But after eating, I’m now feeling some skin burning and sluggish..like I could just drop off asleep...which happens when I have carbs without protein.

Tammy

s for the nerves, I’m soon about to start high dose b12 therapy, so hopefully a lot of my issues will become resolved (paresthesia one of them).
Yes...........B12 has helped me. When I first started taking it though it kind of aggravated things. I had to start off with just a couple of drops a day and work up. My goal dosage was to take 2 dropperfuls 2x daily. I took that dosage for quite awhile and now I take 1-2 dropperfuls 5- 7 days a week. I take Global Healing B12. It's the best B12 that I have found. Anthony said it is important to get adenosylcobalamin as well as the methylcobolamin. Global Healing B12 contains mostly methyl with a little bit of adenosyl.

fredam7

Yes...........B12 has helped me. When I first started taking it though it kind of aggravated things. I had to start off with just a couple of drops a day and work up. My goal dosage was to take 2 dropperfuls 2x daily. I took that dosage for quite awhile and now I take 1-2 dropperfuls 5- 7 days a week. I take Global Healing B12. It's the best B12 that I have found. Anthony said it is important to get adenosylcobalamin as well as the methylcobolamin. Global Healing B12 contains mostly methyl with a little bit of adenosyl.
Hi

What is your diet? I have severe neurological symptoms , all over my body and my brain .

I honestly don't even know what you mean by grains . Do you eat carbs ? Vegetables ?

BeADocToGoTo1

Parasthesia can also be due to nutrient deficiencies. When you go on a ketogenic diet it is possible to create an imbalance, depending on how extreme. How hardcore were you doing it? Have you measured your ketones? Have you looked at the vitamins and minerals that you may have cut out by going keto? By reintroducing food elements, your body has to readjust and that can take time as well, especially if you were keto for a while. It is also better to introduce things one at a time to see whether you are sensitive to a particular item, and in small quantities.

Grains can be inflammatory, but it also depends on things like your microbiome and how well you can break down, for example, gluten. It also depends on whether the grains are full of non-organic pesticides and herbicides. Wheat is a problem for me, for example, if it is non-organic ( and thus sprayed with e.g. glyphosate = antimicrobial) and I get reactions like itchiness, and intestinal distress. I avoid non-organic grains, often hidden in packaged and processed foods as well, whenever I can to avoid reactions.

Tammy

I honestly don't even know what you mean by grains . Do you eat carbs ? Vegetables ?
I eat fruit, vegetables, lean meat (3-4 x a week). A little bit of nuts and seeds. If I happen to cheat with grains I either have a little bit of millet or quinoa. These don't bother me as much as wheat grains do. Example of grains.....rice, wheat, spelt, quinoa, millet. I do not have dairy. My carb intake is mainly from fruits and vegetables....... cassava flat bread.

Last edited:
Don't know if this might help anyone else but I've found that wholegrains that have been cooled (chilled or frozen) before eating, seem to really help reduce burning/heat in the face.

For example, a ready made sprouted wheatbread would be de-frosted in the fridge overnight before eating and a bowl of porridge cooled in the fridge overnight and eaten the following day.

It takes a bit of prep but have found it's worth it to help keep heat/burning sensations low when eating, although for some reason, this method seems to work with grains but not vegetables.

Only explanation I've managed to find so far is that the chilling method turns the carbs into resistant starch, which digests much slower.

@Starsister I have also found that the ezekiel products can aggravate heat conditions too but suspect it might be the seeds they include that can cause heat issues, using Chinese/ayurvedic medicine.

Hope4

Desert of SW USA
I don’t know if this is neurological or not as I didn’t know what category to put this post in.

For one month I have been on a ketogenic diet, and have decided to come off the diet because of the worsening in fatigue (particularly my legs and brain fatigue that on times I can’t even do meditation due to the tiredness).

I did notice that I didn’t have the paresthesia when eating a Keto diet, but today as I introduced whole grains etc etc, almost instantly I felt a horrible ‘prickly’ sensation over my arms, hands and head. I also get this sensation whenever I’m warm, have a shower, feel anxious or even lifting heavy objects (which is rare).

Any ideas guys? It’s really annoying and getting me down.

Cheers.

Hi, SMJ. :)

Did you track your grams of protein, fat, and carbs while eating ketogenically?

It could be that some small adjustments in any of those categories could be most helpful, rather than just scrapping the whole idea.

There are many definitions and descriptions of ketogenic these days. And it could be of great help to have a clear idea of how much each of the macronutrients suits you, and what foods are most beneficial in those categories.

Also, are you eating organic food, 100% grass-fed meat and dairy? I have found that vital for me.

I was on a ketogenic diet for ten years, and for the last couple of years, I just hover around the edges of ketosis, rather than keeping the carbs as low.

The content of the diet is as crucial as the amounts of P, F, C.

I agree about staying off the grains.

I wish you success. :)

fredam7

have you had a fructose breath test? You can have a malabsorption issue or a hereditary issue where you lack fructase.

This just got added to my ever expanding list of diagnoses . I have fructase deficiency . I also have. very bad nerve problems

Starsister

Don't know if this might help anyone else but I've found that wholegrains that have been cooled (chilled or frozen) before eating, seem to really help reduce burning/heat in the face.

For example, a ready made sprouted wheatbread would be de-frosted in the fridge overnight before eating and a bowl of porridge cooled in the fridge overnight and eaten the following day.

It takes a bit of prep but have found it's worth it to help keep heat/burning sensations low when eating, although for some reason, this method seems to work with grains but not vegetables.

Only explanation I've managed to find so far is that the chilling method turns the carbs into resistant starch, which digests much slower.

@Starsister I have also found that the ezekiel products can aggravate heat conditions too but suspect it might be the seeds they include that can cause heat issues, using Chinese/ayurvedic medicine.

Rufous McKinney

wholegrains that have been cooled (chilled or frozen) before eating, seem to really help reduce burning/heat in the face.

Doesn't the stomach warm foods up to our body temperature?

Diets I use avoid cold and chilled foods altogether....I suppose bodies just vary.

bjl218

Paresthesia is associated with mast cell disorders. So I wonder whether this response after eating is due to a spike in histamine levels.

You also said:
I also get this sensation whenever I’m warm, have a shower, feel anxious or even lifting heavy objects (which is rare).

All of these things can cause vasodilation which is also associated with increased histamine.

SmokinJoeFraz93

Thanks for the input. Do you know what would cause these issues? I was aware of these symptoms occurring rapidly after discontinuing SNRI’s. Whether that had something to do with it?