• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Oxidative Stress is a shared characteristic of ME/CFS and Long COVID (Shankar 2024)

cfs since 1998

This paper is a preprint and has not been peer reviewed:
Oxidative Stress is a shared characteristic of ME/CFS and Long COVID

This paper is a bit too complex and technical for me to completely understand but I've tried to tease out some highlights:
  • Elevated oxidative stress in T cells in ME/CFS suggests a deficient adaptive immune response, upon stimulation.
  • Authors found decreased ATP production in T and B cells in ME/CFS and Long COVID patients.
  • Further differences in T cells were uncovered when patients were stratified by sex: female patients had hyperproliferation of T cells while male patients had increased lipid oxidative damage.
  • Metformin is proposed as a treatment for T cell hyperproliferation in female patients.
"Lymphocyte dysfunction, driven by oxidative and mitochondrial damage, acts as an energy sink" in ME/CFS and Long COVID.

See Also: Metformin and Autoimmunity: A New Deal on an Old Drug

Last edited:
Back