• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

#OMFScienceWednesdays-Olav Mella talks autoimmunity and metabolism in ME/CFS

Gingergrrl

Even in their very first paper, they didn't say CFS is an autoimmune disease, but said it might be "a variant of an autoimmune disease." (for me that's a difference, but maybe for physicians/scientists, it's the same - I don't know)

It sounds like a difference to me too, but then again, what do I know? :D

In one lecture which I linked to elsewhere, Dr Fluge was also sceptical of Dr Naviaux's hypothesis that CFS is a dysfunctional metabolic state akin to a state known as dauer in nematods.

I never really resonated with the whole Dauer state hypothesis but maybe b/c it is just not how my own illness presents. I do not lack energy but I am limited in what I can do standing/walking to the point that I still use wheelchair when I go out. I go out daily, but with the wheelchair, I really have no limits now. And once I reach my destination, I often do not need the wheelchair which is a vast difference to pre-treatment when I needed it 24/7 inside of my apt. I also have a vast improvement in muscle strength and breathing (but it never felt like a lack of energy to me).

He said he thinks it's immunological, maybe caused by an antibody (I checked, he explicitly said "antibody" and not "autoantibody").

My own illness is autoimmune/immunological for sure and it started off viral and flipped into autoimmunity. I was very high IgM+ for EBV for 3-4 yrs post-Mono which I had in 2012. What antibody was he referring to? Antibody tests are no longer considered accurate for me after 1.5 yrs of IVIG (vs. PCR tests are still accurate).

Gingergrrl

My understanding is that this a "new" panel provided by Quest.

I would love to have this panel done some day but at the moment I cannot do any blood work until my insurance is re-instated (unless it was an emergency of course).