• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nucleotide supplements (DNA / RNA)

gumman123

Hi all

So I bought Solgar 100 RNA/DNA supplement from iherb a few weeks ago. I took it a few times weeks apart, and felt better after. I recall having good dreams after it. I am about to take it again but every day for a few weeks instead of just one off here, and there. Will take 400mg a day. Anyone else taken RNA/DNA supplements? What do you think? And what dosage did you take?

RNA / DNA is made of purine, and pyrimidine bases. There is a study showing high purine foods, and three of the highest are bakers/brewers yeast, chlorella, spirulina. But I cant find studies showing high pyrimidine foods. Anyone know high pyrimidine foods?

gumman123

Per the base pair rules adenine binds with thymine so I suppose there is the same amount of thymine in a food as there is adenine ie if a food has 100mg adenine per 100g it also has 100mg thymine per 100g.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
A purine binds to a pyramidine in the DNA or RNA,
(and as far as I know they are not of important if any other usage, correct me please).
So if there is food with high purine it also should be high on pyrimidine, only
that the pyrimidines consist of only one ring instead of two and should weight roughly the half therefore.
(I don´t know anything about the purines xanthine and hypoxanthine).

There is one speciality with coding selenium containing proteins (quite regularily if I am remembering right):
Here bind two purines to each other, so the DNA has a bump outwards there.
But I guess it´s unimportant for any elevation of purines.

By accident, just these days I go for a diet with reduced purines (potatoes and eggs)
but don´t notice any worsening effect on my mecfs.
nucleotide is a stimulant so having dreams after taking it would make sense.
I might be a bit dry therefore rn. :meh:

Last edited:

roller

wiggle jiggle
There is a fish in the list called Bficklingshaut which has more than all the other foods there but when it is put in google nothing comes up. Anyone know what fish it is?

"haut" = skin
bücklingshaut = skin of fish bückling

Total Purine in buckling skin = 1645 mg/100g

"A buckling is a form of hot-smokedherring similar to the kipper and the bloater. The head and guts are removed[1] but the roe or milt remain.[2] They may be eaten hot or cold."
"The word may come from the German Bückling or the Swedish böckling, both words denoting a hot-smoked variety of the kipper."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckling_(fish)

Last edited:

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Skin in generel if I am remebering right, espiacially from bird and fish (but not european plaice).
(Also beer because of the rest of the beer-yeast, so especially unfiltered beer would be an option for elevating purines.)

Naviaux found that in pw mecfs purines (not there own I guess) are dimished.
Maybe I am already recovered because I got me some gout?? (but it´s probably mainly a hypersensitivity)