• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

not sure where to post this..ignex testing for lyme..have seen post about it

hurtingallthetimet

ive seen a few post mentioning ignex testing for lyme {spelling? of test} and ive seen it on another support group

can someone please tell me if theyve had it...did you have to ask doctor to do it? and most important does insurance pay for it? i beleive on other support group it was said that insurance hadnt paid at thtat time..

thansk

*GG*

I've had it years ago. not sure if I asked for it, possibly. I don't recall insurance paying for it, perhaps they do now?

GG

PS Igenex.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I've had it years ago. not sure if I asked for it, possibly. I don't recall insurance paying for it, perhaps they do now?

GG

PS Igenex.

I had it in the last couple of months and medicare paid for it.

Best,
Sushi

liquid sky

You have to ask the doctor to sign for it. Then you get a kit in the mail and get your blood drawn and fed-ex it to Igenex. Need to do it at the beginning of the week. The kit tells you exactly how to go about things.

Insurance did not pay for mine.

Ocean

I had this done some years ago. I don't remember but I think it was covered for me. If you don't mind, can I ask for a person with CFS symptoms are the any signs to look for that would suggest testing for lyme? Or is it considered a standard test. I'm wondering if I might have any reason to repeat it. I didn't think so before, but wonder now if there's anything to look out for that would differentiate the two conditions and lead to wanting to get tested. Sorry to go off track on your question.

FunkOdyssey

A false positive result from Igenex caused me to take ridiculous combinations of multiple antibiotics for over two years, with no positive effect on my health. In fact, the only effect they really had was to mess up my gut worse than it already was.

Not a fan of alternative lyme testing at this point.

searcher

I know this is a controversial topic, but I am in agreement with FunkOdysey. I completely believe chronic lyme is real, but I don't think there is enough evidence for any of the alternative tests. And a false positive can too easily lead to pumping your body full of unnecessary antibiotics, which can lower symptoms through lowering inflammation but doesn't seem get at the core of the problem.

liquid sky

I tested positive on Igenex for Lyme. I treated for over a year with strong doses of antibiotics. Never helped me. They say the increase in symptoms is from the bugs releasing toxins when they die. So, you soldier on. Looking back on it now, I think it was more like IRIS causing intolerable levels of inflammation.

Some people have been helped by antibiotics, so it's an individual thing. The only advice I would give is if the antibiotics case severe inflammation, don't soldier on.

Esther12

I know this is a controversial topic, but I am in agreement with FunkOdysey. I completely believe chronic lyme is real, but I don't think there is enough evidence for any of the alternative tests. And a false positive can too easily lead to pumping your body full of unnecessary antibiotics, which can lower symptoms through lowering inflammation but doesn't seem get at the core of the problem.

I'm pretty much the same. I would advise people to avoid the 'alternative lyme' scene. Lyme disease can cause serious long-term problems, and can be difficult to diagnose, but there are lots of alternative practitioners happy to tell anyone with a health complaint that they have chronic Lyme, and need to take lots of drugs to get better.

Jenny

I too was diagnosed with Lyme with a test at the Breakspear that has since been withdrawn. Had nearly 3 years of 7 different abx, including IV. No improvement.

I don't think I ever had it.

Jenny

Anyone able to read Ignex Western Blot tests? I cannot get the ordering physician to interpret mine. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Ignex panel results were as follows:

(Lyme IgM Western Blot)

IGENEX IGM RESULTS NEGATIVE
CDC/NYS RESULTS NEGATIVE

18kDa -
**23-25 kDa -
28kDa -
30kDa -
**31kDa -
**34kDa -
**39kDa -
**41kDa IND
45kDa -
58kDa -
66kDa -
**83-93kDa -

(Lyme IgG Western Blot)

IGENEX IGG RESULTS NEGATIVE
CDC/NYS RESULTS NEGATIVE

18kDa -
**23-25 kDa -
28kDa -
30kDa -
**31kDa -
**34kDa IND
**39kDa IND
**41kDa ++
45kDa -
58kDa -
66kDa -
**83-93kDa -

xrunner

I can't answer your question but here's a couple of relevant links which might be helpful.

http://www.publichealthalert.org/Articles/jamesschaller/18_reasons_lyme_treatments_fail.htm
in particular have a look under reason 6
"Many physicians and patients do not realize that if you have a +/-, an indeterminate or a positive band at only one of these "bands"-- 18, 23, 25, 31, 34, 39, 83 or 93 -- then you may have Lyme disease."

Burrascano's guidelines for role of testing in diagnosing
http://www.ilads.org/files/burrascano_0905.pdf

In my opinion, best would be to see a Lyme literate doctor who can interpret your history, symptoms picture as well as tests.