• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Non-Addison's HPA dysfunction likely caused by t3 deprived adrenals

drob31

In the following video, Paul Robinson shows the nearly mirror image peak of cortisol and T3 during the early hours of the morning. The theory is that the reason some struggle with low cortisol in the morning and afternoon is because their adrenal glands don't have adequate t3 during this time. The solution is to take t3 1.5 to 2 hours before you wake up. You set an alarm, take a small dose of t3 then go back to sleep. This is supposed to work better than even supplemental hydrocortisone at achieving optimal cortisol levels and repairing the adrenal glands. For more information, google CT3M for circadian t3 method.

It's been known that adrenal dysfunction causes hypothyroidism. But it could be that hypothyroidism causes adrenal dysfunction, which causes even worse hypothyroidism which causes even worse adrenal dysfunction, etc.

ukxmrv

I was told that in Addison'd Disease patients take their drugs at 5am for a 7am wake up. Never tried my thyroid drugs at that time though. Thanks for posting this.
Would be interested to hear how others get on.

Ema

I know several people that have experimented with this protocol to "heal" the adrenals. None have been successful. Some thought they were successful only to crash some months later.

Maybe there is a small subset of people that this method works well for, but I don't think that it is the holy grail by any means. And if you have full adrenal insufficiency, I actually think it may be dangerous.

drob31

I know several people that have experimented with this protocol to "heal" the adrenals. None have been successful. Some thought they were successful only to crash some months later.

Maybe there is a small subset of people that this method works well for, but I don't think that it is the holy grail by any means. And if you have full adrenal insufficiency, I actually think it may be dangerous.

Interesting. What were there experiences? I know the dose is supposed to be really low. I've done a lot of scouring and haven't found anyone with a negative experience yet, although I realize it's new.

It makes sense though. Since both hormones work together, a hypothyroid adrenal gland would be more likely to malfunction.

I just had another cortisol saliva test done, but it was done by diagnostechs (I know, unreliable). Apparently my levels are actually high in the afternoon and evening, normal in morning and night. It feels like low cortisol thought...

Ema

Interesting. What were there experiences? I know the dose is supposed to be really low. I've done a lot of scouring and haven't found anyone with a negative experience yet, although I realize it's new.
It's actually been around for several years now. Most of the people I know that tried it were hot on the bandwagon in 2011 or 2012 (I think, it's been a while!). There was a lot of discussion around the topic and I remember that Janie at STTM was big on it though I heard her talking about it a year or so ago and she's seemingly really cooled on the method. Like I said, possibly it works for a subset of patients, but hardly a majority and it is not without risks.

The people I know that tried it weaned off steroids but eventually got worse again and had to go back on. The T3 didn't heal their adrenals. Probably because they have a brain problem and not an adrenal problem. It does nothing for autoimmune Addison's either.

People were all gung ho at first though for sure. Until they started having crisis symptoms...

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I was told that in Addison'd Disease patients take their drugs at 5am for a 7am wake up. Never tried my thyroid drugs at that time though. Thanks for posting this.
Would be interested to hear how others get on.
I think this only works if the thyroid drug you are taking is T3.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have been doing it using a very low dose of 5 mcg T3. I think it helps if I stick to my 'normal' late rising time. I have been trying to push my rising time back by moving the T3 dose back. That has not been going so well.