• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

No brain fog during colds

Waverunner

During the last days I had a normal cold where my nose was running and I didn't feel very good (malaise). It was no flu, however. What I noticed was that my cognition improved significantly, almost to a completely normal level. I had no brain fog at all. I finished some very difficult programming-related work and even had the energy to finish optional tasks for which normally I'm too exhausted. It took me only very little time since I could concentrate pretty well and I knew what I had to do and how to approach the problems. Today the cold is much better but the brain fog is returning.

Diet was/is the same and so was/is everything else. I've had this experience several times before, always during colds.

Has anyone of you ever noticed the same? What biological explanations are there?

Thinktank

Last month i also felt better during a cold which lasted 5 days, usually it doesn't affect me much.

I also feel better shortly after food poisoning, when my bowels have been totally cleared out. That effect only lasts until food hits my small or large intestine again.

pattismith

I also feel better shortly after food poisoning, when my bowels have been totally cleared out. That effect only lasts until food hits my small or large intestine again.

I had this same experience as well after a gastroenteritis, I was bad for two days, then felt great for a few days before relapsing.

Seven7

Seven
I get remissions on virus. I can predict bacterial infection ( I had strep) and knew it was not a virus due to malaise. I also had Zica ( twice) virus and went kareoking!!! I felt so good ( I didn’t know I had just felt great) found out next day why. I do feel cold symptoms but not energy constrains or the brain Titanua that is ever present.