• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NIH 2023-2024 Webinars thread

Murph

:)
The NIH has done a very comprehensive run of webinars. there's 8 of them. each goes for four hours. It's just so much content! A lot of the latest research is in here, and all the big names. Hanson, Davis, etc, alongside many other people I've never heard of who are doing good work.

This is part of a process called the research roadmap that is figuring out where best to spend research funds in future. They're seeking input from everyone, including the community (i.e. us).

What's more the NIH boss Vicki Whittemore has been present for literally all of it. A big show of commitment from her to mecfs, which is welcome.

The first one was August 25, 2023, on the nervous system

10:00 AM ETIntroductionVicky Whittemore, PhD NIH/NINDS
Webinar Moderator: Jarred Younger, PhD
10:05 AM ETLived ExperienceTrisha Fisher
10:10 AM ETTalk 1: CognitionGudrun Lange, PhD
Pain & Fatigue Study Center
10:35 AM ET Talk 2: DysautonomiaPeter Rowe, MD
Johns Hopkins Medicine
11:00 AM ETTalk 3: Cerebral Spinal Fluid StudiesJonas Bergquist, MD, PhD
ME/CFS Collaborative Research Center at Uppsala University
11:20 AM ETBreak
11:35 AM ETTalk 4: NeuroimagingJarred Younger, PhD
University of Alabama at Birmingham
12:00 PM ETTalk 5: SleepJanet Mullington, PhD
Harvard Medical School
12:25 PM ETBreak
12:40 PM ETTalk 6: Peripheral Nervous SystemPeter Novak, MD, PhD
Brigham and Women’s Hospital
1:05 PM ETPanel DiscussionModerators: Jarred Younger, PhD and
Vicky Whittemore, PhD

Last edited:

Murph

The second one was on October 19 2023, on the immune system.

11:00 AM ETIntroductionsVicky Whittemore, PhD; NIH/NINDS
11:10 AM ETClinical Immunology of ME/CFSNancy Klimas, MD; Nova Southeastern University
12:00 PM ETEvidence for autoimmunity in ME/CFSCarmen Scheibenbogen, MD; Charité-Universitätsmedizin Berlin
12:40 PM ET Immune cell-type approaches to identify mechanisms of ME/CFSMaureen Hanson, PhD; Cornell University
1:15 PM ETBreak
1:30 PM ETPredictive and mechanistic insights into immune perturbations during ME/CFSDerya Unutmaz, MD; Jackson Laboratories
2:05 PM ETGut-Immune-Metabolic Interplay in ME/CFSArmin Alaedini, PhD; Columbia University
2:25 PM ETLived ExperienceAngela Termini
2:35 PM ETLived ExperienceTracy Duvall
2:40 PM ETResearch Priorities, What is translatable clinically?Moderator: Vicky Whittemore, PhD

Last edited:

Murph

The third one was on October 26 2023 on Metabolism.

11:00 AM ETWelcome remarksVicky Whittemore, PhD
Program Director, National Institutes of Health
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke
Session 1Alain Moreau, PhD (moderator)
Université de Montréal, Canada
11:05 AM ETSpeaker 1: “Lived Perspective of a Patient – Progress Made via Self-education, Determination, Self-tracking, and Analysis”Chris Wikman
Patient-partner
11:20 AM ETSpeaker 2: “The interplay between metabolism and immunology in ME/CFS”Shuzhao Li, PhD
Jackson Laboratories, USA
12:00 PM ETSpeaker 3: “Investigations and Consequences of Altered Metabolism in ME/CFS Immune Cells”Jessica Maya, PhD
Post-doctoral fellow / Dr. Maureen Hanson’s Lab
Cornell University, USA
12:30 PM ETSpeaker 4: “Single-cell Raman technologies for diagnosis and investigation of ME/CFS immune cells”Jiaboa Xu, PhD
University of Glasgow, Glasgow, UK
1:10 PM ETBreak
Session 2Alain Moreau, PhD (moderator)
Université de Montréal, Canada
1:40 PM ETSpeaker 5: “Studying Metabolomics in ME/CFS – A Computational Perspective”Wenzhong Xiao, PhD
Harvard School of Medicine, Boston, USA
2:20 PM ETSpeaker 6: “Microbial metabolism in ME/CFS pathogenesis: The state of supporting evidence and prevailing knowledge gaps”Brent Williams, PhD
Columbia University, New York City, USA
3:00 PM ETSpeaker 7: “Metabolic characterisation of biofluids in ME/CFS”Chris Armstrong, PhD
Melbourne University, Melbourne, Australia

Last edited:

Murph

The fourth one was on November 1 on genomics.

11:00 AM ETOpening remarksVicky Whittemore, PhD
NINDS
11:05 AM ET Oved Amitay, PhD
Solve M.E.
11:08 AM ETLived experience PerspectiveHayla Sluss, PhD
University of Massachusetts
Session 1: Large data-sets and Genome Wide Association Studies (GWAS)
11:15 AM ETGenetic risk factors of ME/CFS: a critical review (GWAS)Chris Ponting, PhD
University of Edinburgh
11:45 AM ETCombinatorial analysis of Genetic Risk Factors for ME/CFS, UK BiobankStephen Gardner, PhD
PrecisionLife
12:10 PM ETGenetic susceptibility in Long Covid and ME/CFS: Long COVID Host Genetics Initiative (international network)Hanna Ollila, PhD
University of Helsinki
Vilma Lammi, PhD
University of Helsinki
Anniina Maria Tervi, PhD
University of Helsinki
12:35 PM ETThe use of Large public biobanks for genotype/phenotype analysis: Industry perspectiveSlavé Petrovski, PhD
AstraZeneca
12:55 PM ETQ&A
1:05 PM ETBreak
Session 2: Enriched cohorts and Epigenetics
1:25 PM ETCharacterizing the Genetic Basis of ME/CFS through Case-Control and Family StudiesFereshteh Jahaniani, PhD
Stanford
Varuna Chander, PhD
Stanford
1:50 PM ETContribution of Epigenomics to ME/CFS Pathogenesis: Past, Present and FutureAlain Moreau, PhD
Université de Montréal
2:20 PM ETClosing remarksKristina Allen-Brady, PhD
University of Utah

Last edited:

Murph

The fifth one was on November 30, on Chronic infections.

[

11:00 AM ETIntroductionVicky Whittemore, PhD
NIH/NINDS
11:05 AM ETLived ExperienceDavid Holcomb
11:15 AM ETChronic infection in Long COVIDMichael Peluso, MD, MHS
University of California San Francisco
11:50 AM ETDiscussion
12:00 PM ETChronic infection in ME/CFS: non-Herpes virusesMaureen Hanson, PhD
Cornell University
12:40 PM ETDiscussion
12:50 PM ETBreak
1:15 PM ETInfection/reactivation of herpesviruses and ME/CFSAnthony Komaroff, MD
Harvard
1:55 PM ETDiscussion
2:05 PM ETEndogenous retroviruses and ME/CFSProf. Simon Carding
Quadrum Institute, University of East Anglia

Last edited:

Murph

The sixth one was on Physiology, on December 6 2023.

11:00 AM ETIntroductionVicky Whittemore, PhD
NIH/NINDS
11:05 AM ETIlluminating Whole Body Immune Responses In ME/CFS Using PETMichele James, PhD
Stanford University
11:30 AM ETThe Cell Danger ResponseRobert Naviaux, MD, PhD
University of California, San Diego
11:55 AM ETUpdate on the Itaconate Shunt HypothesisRob Phair, PhD
Integrative Informatics
12:15 PM ETLived experience: searching for mechanisms of ME/CFS in other conditionsDominic Stanculescu
Independent Researcher, Belgium
12:35 PM ETConsensus report on what is refreshing sleep?Rebecca Robbins, PhD
Harvard Medical School
12:50 PM ETNon-refreshing SleepMaiken Nedergaard, MD, DMSc
University of Rochester and University of Copenhagen
1:15 PM ETBREAK
1:30 PM ETMetabolism and ME/CFSKarl Tronstad, PhD
University of Bergen
1:55 PM ETBH4: a potential culpritRon Davis, PhD
Stanford University
2:20 PM ETExtracellular vesiclesLudovic Giloteaux, PhD
Cornell University

Murph

Of everything I've seen so far maybe the most surprising is this slide.

1. it comes from a woman i've never heard of, michelle james of Stanford. She's an Australian who has made it to assistant professor at Stanford at a rather young age, which makes me proud.
2. She found a big signal of inflammation in bone marrow. What does that mean?!?

1704928477492.png

Murph

I can't edit the older posts. Anyway, here's the seventh one, on lesser studied pathologies

11:00 AM ETIntroduction and welcome Vicky Whittemore, PhD
NIH/NINDS
Beth Pollack
MIT
11:05 AM ETLesser Studied Pathologies: Overview; Prevalence and Comorbidities Inclusion in ResearchBeth Pollack
MIT
11:15 AM ETConnective Tissue Disorders, Spinal Conditions, and ME/CFSIlene Ruhoy, MD, PhD
Mount Sinai South Nassau
11:55 AM ETBreak
12:05 PM ETTethered Cord SyndromePetra Klinge, MD, PhD
Brown University
12:30 PM ETMast Cell Activation Disorders and ME/CFSAnne Maitland, MD, PhD
Mount Sinai
12:55 PM ETNeurosurgical Conditions in ME/CFSJulie Rehmeyer
1:00 PM ETBreak
1:10 PM ETGastrointestinal Dysfunction in ME/CFS: The Role of the Neuroimmune AxisLaura Pace, MD, PhD
University of Utah
1:40 PM ETME/CFS and Female Reproductive HealthBeth Pollack
MIT
1:45 PM ETME/CFS and NeuroendocrinologyNatalie Thomas, PhD
The University of Melbourne
1:55 PM ETEndometriosis & ME/CFSEmelia von Saltza
2:00 PM ETReproductive Health in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS)Roumiana Boneva, MD, PhD
CDC
Elizabeth Unger, MD, PhD
CDC
2:20 PM ETBreak
2:25 PM ETPanel discussion with all speakers
2:50 PM ETClosing RemarksBeth Pollack
MIT
Vicky Whittemore, PhD
NIH/NINDS

Murph

number 8 on circulation. Some great stuff in here on microclots at the one hour mark.

THis last video contains some pretty cool findings on blood flow that aren't published yet. A lab at UC Davis in California has looked at how red blood cells are supposed to become softer and more squishy ("deformable") in response to lower oxygen concentrations ("PO2"). That makes them go faster so thy can deliver oxygen when needed. in Me/cfs that doesn't happen as much. So the body can't respond when oxygen levels get low, and symptoms worsen.

They showed that very clearly. But what is really cool is they also looked at things that can fix that. Here's some unpublished info showing something called xanomeline can restore the responsiveness of red blood cells. The slope gets steeper in the chart on the left the more xanomeline they pump in.

Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 9.47.20 pm.png

Xanomeline isn't fully available yet, it remains experimental, but it did just pass a phase 3 trial so it's not at the beginning of the process either. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(23)02190-6/fulltext. What's also interesting is that, like abilify, it is an antischizophrenia drug.

Last edited:
Back