• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Computer is outgassing

PNR2008

I've been without a PC for about a month, while my ordered new one came in. Now I can't stand it's smell. It's a heated plastic, shower curtain smell and I can't even think straight much less learn the new ins and outs of it. I spent a lot on it which makes me angry plus the smell on my brain is making me agitated. Anyone heard of this ? I feel like I'm losing my mind and it may go out the window or on the porch until more tolerable.

jeffrez

Have you considered a computer box that vents the fumes to the outside? I used to use one, it was a life saver.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I've been without a PC for about a month, while my ordered new one came in. Now I can't stand it's smell. It's a heated plastic, shower curtain smell and I can't even think straight much less learn the new ins and outs of it. I spent a lot on it which makes me angry plus the smell on my brain is making me agitated. Anyone heard of this ? I feel like I'm losing my mind and it may go out the window or on the porch until more tolerable.

Sorry to hear that. Or maybe just a fan that blows across it to an open window? I am about to order a new computer. I wonder if this is a common problem. Would you mind sharing which brand it is and what the case is made of?

Thanks,
Sushi

PNR2008

Thx it's a laptop so as long as the weather's OK I'm going outside with it. It still stinks out here but maybe I'll air it out. while not using it, although I believe it's the heat on the components that's killing me.

Aileen

Unfortunately this is a common problem with new anything if you have sensitivities. My computer (MacBook) wasn't too bad. Sometimes it is the internal components that are the problem. I find that DVD players are really bad when they are running.

If I were you, I would take it outside as you have been but let it run instead of just sitting when not in use. You'd have to be able to keep an eye on it of course so no one walks off with it!! This way the innards can gas off too without stinking up your home and making you sick(er).

@Suchi, btw my MacBook is a white plastic one but I don't think they make them now. They are all aluminum body now. I don't know if you want to try a mac but if you might, take a look at their website. They seem to be more environmentally (and sensitive people) friendly than most. There is a learning curve going from a PC to a mac but if I can get the hang of it anyone can. :)

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Aileen

Thanks for the information. At this point I am going to stick with a PC due to price and the "learning curve." I am looking at one that has (I think) a carbon fiber case, but those innards could easily be a problem.

Sushi

caledonia

I offgas stuff in the basement. A garage might work too if it's secure, or even a spare room in your house that you can close up. You do have to keep it running so it heats up. Might take about a week depending on your level of sensitivity. The first couple of days are the worst.

Wifi123

Sorry to hear about the toxic fumes, but I would also reckon that the non-ionised radiation from your wireless computer would be causing more of your problem than just fumes which is secondary.

PhoenixDown

You can swap the components into any case you like (There are standard form factors such as ATX and Mini ATX), just make sure it can dissipate enough heat when in use. As long as it's a PC & not a laptop. Anyway, you can safely run the components without any case at all just don't spill anything on them.