• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Neuroprotective Effect of β-Caryophyllene on Cerebral Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury via Regulation of Necroptotic Neuronal Death and Inflammation

Violeta

Neuroprotective Effect of β-Caryophyllene on Cerebral Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury via Regulation of Necroptotic Neuronal Death and Inflammation: In Vivo and in Vitro

https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/neuroscience/articles/10.3389/fnins.2017.00583/full

I started looking into the effect of Beta-caryophyllene having an effect on the cerebral cortex mainly because I was wondering if it has any effect on the visual cortex.

Eye issues seem to be very common among those with ME/CFS. Eye issues can have many various causes and be related to not only the eye itself, but also the visual cortex.

I found one study so far that discusses CB1 and CB2 receptors with respect to vision. More is known about CB1r and the retina. Not much info on CB2 and the visual cortex, but I did see one inference. I'll get it and put it here.

But I do see positive reference to B-caryophyllene and the cerebral cortex, which is what the first study listed is about.

"Thus, BCP alleviates ischemic brain damage potentially by inhibiting necroptotic neuronal death and inflammatory response. This study suggests a novel application for BCP as a neuroprotective agent."

I am wondering if besides being a neuroprotective agent, if it also helps repair neurons.

Last edited:

Violeta

TLR4 pathway impairs synaptic number and cerebrovascular functions through astrocyte activation following traumatic brain injury

Activation of astrocytes contributes to synaptic remodelling, tissue repair and neuronal survival following traumatic brain injury (TBI). The mechanisms by which these cells interact to resident/infiltrated inflammatory cells to rewire neuronal networks and repair brain functions remain poorly understood. Here, we explored how TLR4‐induced astrocyte activation modified synapses and cerebrovascular integrity following TBI.
Our data demonstrate that TLR4‐mediated signalling, most probably through microglia and/or infiltrated monocyte–astrocyte communication, plays a crucial role in the TBI pathophysiology and that its inhibition prevents synaptic loss and BBB damage accelerating tissue recovery/repair, which might represent a therapeutic potential in CNS injuries and disorders.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8453872/

Violeta

HMGB1 is a Potential Mediator of Astrocytic TLR4 Signaling Activation following Acute and Chronic Focal Cerebral Ischemia​

These findings suggest that HMGB1, an endogenous TLR4 ligand, is an important physiological ligand for TLR4 signaling activation, in penumbral astrocytes, following acute and chronic ischemia and HMGB1 amplifies TLR4 signaling in astrocytes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7053497/

Violeta

That's the main component in the copaiba oil @CSMLSM was talking about right?
Yes, and someone on twitter found a source of I guess what you would call caryophyllene extract. It's more expensive, though, and the producer is in Canada, which makes shipping expensive. But if you can afford it, I will get the link. I think the name of the company is Cannanda. You only have to take one or two drops of it at a time.

Yes and β-Caryophyllene is part of Inspiratol which has had a paper out this year with a nebuliser based formula with it in among some other things.
I read about that earlier this year. Couldn't remember about the connection. That makes the nebuliser even more interesting.

Will pick up some Copaiba oil for now as I should be able to get it in a store locally here in the Netherlands.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I'm confused. The original link was your title and you changed it but the link I remember doesn't seem to match any of them you still have in your posts. I was gonna come back and look at it some more.