• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need help with genetic test results

adreno

PR activist
I have converted my 23andMe results to Yasko's format (using the spreadsheet), and this is what I got:

CBS A360A +/-
CBS C699T +/-
COMT H62H +/-
COMT V158M +/-
COMT-61 P199P -/-
MAO A R297R +
MTHFR C677T +/-
MTHFR A1298C -/-
MTHFR03 P39P -/-
MTR A2756G +/-
MTRR H595Y -/-
MTRR K350A -/-
MTRR R415T -/-
MTRR A66G +/+
MTRR-11 A664A -/-
VDR Bsm/Taq +/+
ACAT1-02 +/-
AHCY-01 -/-
AHCY-02 -/-
AHCY-19 -/-
BHMT-02 +/-
BHMT-04 +/-
BHMT-08 +/-
SHMT -/-

Right off the bat I can see that I am heterozygous for 2 CBS, and 3 BHMT SNPs. As I understand it, those give me a higher need for methyldonors, and also a propensity to accumulate ammonia and sulfite/sulfate.

I am heterozygyous for 1 MTHFR (C677T) and MTR. MTRR are normal, except I'm homozygous for A66G. Again, all this would indicate that I need more methylfolate, more methylcobalamin, and methyl donors.

Then comes the confusing part. I am heterozygous for 2 COMT, but VDR (bsm/taq) is +/+. As I understand it, COMT +/- combined with VDR +/+ behaves like COMT -/-. So what does this mean for my methyl donor tolerance?

My personal experience is that I am sensitive to both dopamine, and methyl donors. But at the same time I have attention issues, and seems to need dopamine to wake up my brain, even though it gives me anxiety, mood swings and irritability.

I have tried 2-5mg of each methylfolate/methylcobalamin for the past three months, but didn't do well on them. Brain fog was severe, and I felt very unstable in a biochemical sort of way. Electrolytes were way off.

Can anyone make suggestions to what supplements I should take? Would hydroxycobalamin be effective in this scenario? How much methylfolate I am likely to need? Should I take TMG?

I have been taking both P5P and ALA in the past, but if Yasko is correct about CBS upregulation, I should probably drop them. Instead I am thinking of adding 150mcg molydenum, and some phosphatidylcholine. I am unsure about the TMG.

Thank you for any help and comments. This is confusing stuff.

adreno

PR activist
I guess since no one replied, that everyone is as confused as me?

Is it even possible to predict which supplements to take, from these results, or does it come down to trial and error?

I guess since no one replied, that everyone is as confused as me?

Is it even possible to predict which supplements to take, from these results, or does it come down to trial and error?

I just got tested through 23andme and that's pretty much how I feel about the whole thing...haha! Some of the specific formulas she says to take are quite expensive IMO. I'm still quite skeptical of the whole thing. My plan is to start going through and looking at the frequency of some of these "mutations" too. One of the first ones I did this for, I found that on MOA A, she says that T is +. Well if you look at OpenSNP or SNPedia, they list TT as being carried by ~60% of the Caucasian population. If that many people carry either a T or TT in that SNP, then I don't see this as being very important at all.

What I think is that this is all in its infancy... Trial and error as you said.

adreno

PR activist
Calico, where did you find that figure on SNPedia (60%)? I didn't see it.

I encourage you to make a thread investigating the Yasko mutations. I would find it very interesting.

Pea

I would read the Heartfixer info. He explains it in easy-to-understand terms including what supplements you probably need, and which to avoid that may cause issue with your other defects:

Scroll up from this page to see everything:
http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm#COMT: CatecholOMethyl Transferase and VDR: Vitamin D Receptor

As for the brain fog, my friend's fog returned when we reduced his Vitamin C (ammonia build-up). We did the Perque C Potent Guard flush and he felt better & confusion cleared up again. He's taking 2 teaspoons a day of this now. [This happened before, when he was not taking this for a few days, the evening brain fog returned. I thought it was just magnesium but the C helps clear the ammonia from what I understand].

adreno

PR activist
Pea, I did read the heartfixer info. Though some general guidelines are given, I find everything is far from clear.

I would love to hear from someone who has more experience with these protocols than me.

greenshots

yes, you will have too much sulfur and ammonia build up with the cbs, and having both means even more problems. Since we can't know about the NOS from 23&me, it seems almost wiser to just assume you have a defect there and this is the source behind your lack of BH4 (needed for neurotransmitters, nitric oxide to keep blood vessels open, and ammonia clean up) as well as the problem compounding the CBS. If you think about it, the CBS dumps out everything good & bad into the system only to turn it all into bad (ammonia & sulfur). If your clean up guy (NOS) is out of commission, you'll have some serious toxic back up.

See this page for more info that's simpler than heart fixer (but doesn't tell you the treatment outright)
http://autismnti.com/yourbodyschemistry.html

The MTRR defects mean you don't recycle Methyl B 12 as you should and the COMT status + VDR Taq mean you are essentially COMT -/- so should tolerate some methyl donors. Most people with the MTHFR C677T don't do well on SAMe so maybe Methionine would be better for you. If you have a bigger toxic load, you might not tolerate them at all until you get some of the basics on board and slowly start the clean up process. Slower is better in those cases. However, I think Hixxy found in another posting that the VDR Taq wasn't reliable from23&me to Yasko.

Sorry, its the best I can do with 3 kids who are all home for Easter week.

Angela

I have converted my 23andMe results to Yasko's format (using the spreadsheet), and this is what I got:

CBS A360A +/-
CBS C699T +/-
COMT H62H +/-
COMT V158M +/-
COMT-61 P199P -/-
MAO A R297R +
MTHFR C677T +/-
MTHFR A1298C -/-
MTHFR03 P39P -/-
MTR A2756G +/-
MTRR H595Y -/-
MTRR K350A -/-
MTRR R415T -/-
MTRR A66G +/+
MTRR-11 A664A -/-
VDR Bsm/Taq +/+
ACAT1-02 +/-
AHCY-01 -/-
AHCY-02 -/-
AHCY-19 -/-
BHMT-02 +/-
BHMT-04 +/-
BHMT-08 +/-
SHMT -/-

Right off the bat I can see that I am heterozygous for 2 CBS, and 3 BHMT SNPs. As I understand it, those give me a higher need for methyldonors, and also a propensity to accumulate ammonia and sulfite/sulfate.

I am heterozygyous for 1 MTHFR (C677T) and MTR. MTRR are normal, except I'm homozygous for A66G. Again, all this would indicate that I need more methylfolate, more methylcobalamin, and methyl donors.

Then comes the confusing part. I am heterozygous for 2 COMT, but VDR (bsm/taq) is +/+. As I understand it, COMT +/- combined with VDR +/+ behaves like COMT -/-. So what does this mean for my methyl donor tolerance?

My personal experience is that I am sensitive to both dopamine, and methyl donors. But at the same time I have attention issues, and seems to need dopamine to wake up my brain, even though it gives me anxiety, mood swings and irritability.

I have tried 2-5mg of each methylfolate/methylcobalamin for the past three months, but didn't do well on them. Brain fog was severe, and I felt very unstable in a biochemical sort of way. Electrolytes were way off.

Can anyone make suggestions to what supplements I should take? Would hydroxycobalamin be effective in this scenario? How much methylfolate I am likely to need? Should I take TMG?

I have been taking both P5P and ALA in the past, but if Yasko is correct about CBS upregulation, I should probably drop them. Instead I am thinking of adding 150mcg molydenum, and some phosphatidylcholine. I am unsure about the TMG.

Thank you for any help and comments. This is confusing stuff.

adreno

PR activist
Thanks greenshots, you're a rock star. When you say "get the basics on board", what are you referring to?

ATM I take:

Methylfolate 400mcg
Methylcobalamin 1250mcg
TMG 500mg
Molybdenum 300mcg
Lecithin 2400mg
Riboflavin 75mg
Manganese 5mg
Milk thistle 300mg
Carnitine 500mg

And some vitamin A, C, D, E, K, plus electrolytes.

Before sleep:

GABA 500mg
Melatonin 300mcg

Happy Easter!

Calico, where did you find that figure on SNPedia (60%)? I didn't see it.

I encourage you to make a thread investigating the Yasko mutations. I would find it very interesting.

Sorry I forgot to check back! I found this on openSNP.org. There are other more technical websites that show frequency numbers of these genotypes too. I think Hapmap is the name of one of them.

greenshots

Well, I'd say if your big on protein, that should be cut down to smaller portions since this raises ammonia levels. It doesn't mean no protein, as some people try to make it out to be but it does mean less until you can get a handle on your genes. I would also be on organ supports. I personally prefer the MTHFR A1298C caps at Holistic health. They give me some energy by feedng BH4 and help detoxify the liver and support BH4 which in turn, supports so many other areas. I also like the CBS/NOS caps instead of the CBS RNA. You can take little doses (sprinkles to start and have the upward goal of 1/4 to 1/2 cap twice a day to save money--this was my doc's suggestion).

Others take ora pancreas, ora kidney, and ora liver but these caused WAY too much detox for me so I couldn't handle them. I also used Vit D with rosemary (my doc says it makes it absorb better so a sprigg or two goes a long way). Then there's excitotoxicity, which happens every time you add in supplements but is also there due to your own bacterial & inflammation issues causing it. This means glutamate & gaba balance so things like Blaylock and Yasko encourage for that like mag citrate or malate (the others don't absorb well so thats why they're tolerated better, your not getting much. Its better to start at a sprinkle of the stuff that works). Also, GABA, I like HH's Gaba blend since its not sedating. Also, lithium orotate, theanine (not for COMT +|+ but ok for your genes), and the powerful antioxidants like Resveratol, Vit C at higher doses as tolerated, Vit E succinate, pycnogenol and a few others. I'm going by memory so there are probably other things as well but these are most important.

Hope this gives you a better idea,
Angela

adreno

PR activist
Thanks again greenshots, I think I get the picture. Looks like antioxidants, liver support and neuroprotection are key here.