• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need help choosing antioxidants to test

overtheedge

I'm working on getting a good amount of supplements together to test, today I'm interested in antioxidant supplements. Share if you would the antioxidants that have worked for you and any helpful details. Immediately below are the ones that haven't worked in my case. Further below is what info I have on antioxidants that I have seen to work

Antioxidants that have done nothing:

Quercetin

Astaxanthin

Cilantro aqueous extract 300mg

Alpha lipoic acid 100mg(just plain ALA not R-ALA)

Protandim(bacopa extract, green tea extract, other stuff that is irrelevant)

Oncoplex(glucoraphnin[broccoli extract])

Milk thistle(150mg/day)

Vitamin E(800iu/day)

Melatonin(3ml/day)

pine bark extract

Resveratrol

Reduced GSH spray

Turmeric/Curcumin(500mg/day)

Calcium d glucarate(500mg)

Superoxide Dismutase 400mg

Grape seed extract

Don’t know if the following are antioxidants but I’m including them in case, these ones are all ones that did nothing as well

vitamin K1 and K2

Niacin(3g/day)

Vitamin C(5-7g/day)

Buffered Vitamin C

Optimag neuro (200mg mag malate, mag threonate, mag lysinate glycinate chelate)

Pregnenolone(I’m male, figured it was something to point out as I think it has additional effects in females)

Royal Jelly(1.5g/day)

Bee pollen (750mg/day)

Propolis(1g/day)

Manuka honey(1 tbsp/day)

Ones that have shown good effects:

Coenzyme Q10(made me feel spectacular for a week or so then sporadic, diminished effects)

acetyl l carnitine(made me feel spectacular for a week or so then sporadic, diminished effects)

Omega Oil supplements(fish oil/krill oil/others)(I think this one's an antioxidant on a level. Omega made me feel real good off and on the first month of use then stopped showing overt perceptual effects though it is helping on test results)

CBD Oil (nanoparticles, think CBD oil is antioxidant but not sure)

S Acetyl Glutathione(the best results from any supplement I've had in the past 4 years, consistent powerful effects, near complete removal of PEM and radical increase in energy and mood, tested for 12 days or so and the fx stayed around in near full force for another week or so after cessation of dosing)

None of the above have been tested long term except for the Omega (an omega 3-6-9 version that wasn't fish derived) which never did anything noticeable again after the first month although CoQ10, ALCAR, and Omega are probably good to take now and then to keep the body levels in a good place, they can all be tested for via blood anyway for those interested in knowing their levels and how much they have to do to keep levels optimal.

I've only tested the CBD oil and the S acetyl Glutathione for less than two weeks each so while their results have been outstanding for me I can't say too much about them

Info from my notes, taken from various sources:

"Some patients report that CoQ10, while giving them an initial energy boost, also increases insomnia and causes jitters. Some people report, paradoxically, that CoQ10 produces exhaustion, although this effect may be more common in the acutely ill than in those with stable symptoms. CoQ10 lowers blood sugar levels, which may be problematic for patients with hypoglycemia. High doses can cause flu-like symptoms."

"Do not supplement with ribose before bedtime, because ribose increases energy production and may keep you awake."

"Thousands of patients have taken D-ribose at dosages up to 60 grams per day with minimal side effects."

Don’t know if ribose is an antioxidant but I’ve had excellent effects from it, I take 2.5g’s of ribose and dissolve it in a cup of water then drink one third of that cup every thirty minutes. I’ll do this all day long many days, at least when I was testing it in the past and I tested it many times, it’s the only one of the three mitochondrial supplements which has shown consistently good fx, coq10 and Acetyl-L-Carnitine work sometimes but nowhere near how well as when they first started working, been a while since I tested them also. Another thing, I have heard ribose can cause hypoglycemia and may feed gut bugs, although, I know I've got SIBO and have for a while and the ribose worked anyway for what it's worth.

Acetyl L carnitine dosing works well spaced 4 hours apart in smaller doses instead of taking larger doses spaced 8 hours apart, from my testing last year I got much better effects this way

Last edited:

Runner5

Look into AMLA, it's a seasoning and cinnamon -- but I recommend you get most of your antioxidant action from food that you eat :D

Markus83

I have also good experiences with Ubiquinol (200-300 mg a day, only the Kaneka-brand) and ribose (5 g, 1-2 x a day). What works also good for me is Eleutherococcus (Siberian ginseng) tincture. But start slowly. Want to try creatin 5 g/day as well. Seems promising to me. Apart from ubiquinol, non of these are antioxidants (ribose is a sugar).

Interested in S Acetyl Glutathione. How long have you been taking this, which dose and where do you buy it from (it seems very expensive)? Have you tried acetyl-cysteine (NAC) before? It's a precursor of glutathion and also an antixidant and should increase glutathion production. It would be much cheaper than SAG.

pamojja

Share if you would the antioxidants that have worked for you and any helpful details. Immediately below are the ones that haven't worked in my case.

Due to a 80% blockage at my abdominal aorta bifurcation, and a 60% walking-disability from that, I approached supplementation and antioxidants in particular with a much larger breath, and without expecting any immediately felt effects. But with the years many synergistic effects showed.

For example, started very slowly with Pauling's therapy: at least 6g of ascorbic acid and lysine. Only after 1 year I reached that therapeutic range, and only then my pain-less walking distance improved (from 3-400 m to 1 hour the first, 2 hrs the second year. Completely got rid of intermittent-claudication symptoms (and the walking disability) after 6 years (on about 23 g/d of vitamin C in average for 10 years now) only. Though there also were immediate side-benefits, for example a for years persisting skin rush disappeared right away.

An other example, also testing my oxidated LDL twice in the distance of 2 years, the second time it doubled. Only Antioxidant reduced in that time period was Astaxanthin (from 8 to 4 mg per day). Such things could never be immediately felt. And most benefits took many years to manifest.

But the most mysterious antioxidant effect experienced is, that I never get sunburned even once since on comprehensive supplementation (don't use sun-cream). Can only assume it to be due to all its synergistic effects in the long term.

Just as an other perspective.

Last edited:

Wishful

Antioxidants make my symptoms worse, so I now generally avoid them. I'd also like to point out that many of the substances you list as antioxidants have other properties as well, which may affect your symptoms. L-carnitine, for example, is critical for transport of fatty acids across cell membranes. So, don't get too focused on whether something is considered to have antioxidant properties in addition to other properties. "Antioxidant" is considered a marketing term by supplement marketers, so it's a bit overused.

LINE

Vitamin C (not any with fillers) I use Quali C powder or buffered. 5k-10k per day.

Vitamin E as d-alpha (Not dl-alpha) 1200-2000iu per day

r-Lipoic acid (much better for me than alpha)

Magnesium and other minerals - I use Doctors Best High Absorption Magnesium

Turmeric - ceylon cinnamon - paprika or cayenne -

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)

Bulk Charcoal which pulls toxins out

Siberian Ginseng as the other poster noted. Gives a very stabilized energy for me.

ebethc

good old fashioned vitamin C has been a huge help for me... however, it took me a long time to figure out that i needed NON-CORN vitamin c... (most is derived from corn..)... I use ecological formulas brand, sourced from tapioca.

overtheedge

Look into AMLA, it's a seasoning and cinnamon
Oh yeah, I have heard of amla, I've used triphala in the past, another ayurvedic treatment, and the two come up a lot together, well, Amla, Triphala, and Bala I believe they were, a number of links grouped them together. Triphala is gut focused, might have some antioxidant activity but It's been a while so I can't really say much about it other than that triphala works for me but sporadically, nothing too powerful but the fx are certainly noticeable, feel better overall, a bit more with it, maybe some more energy.

I'd be interested to hear anything about AMLA and cinnamon, do you take them frequently?

I have also good experiences with Ubiquinol (200-300 mg a day, only the Kaneka-brand) and ribose (5 g, 1-2 x a day). What works also good for me is Eleutherococcus (Siberian ginseng) tincture. But start slowly. Want to try creatin 5 g/day as well. Seems promising to me. Apart from ubiquinol, non of these are antioxidants (ribose is a sugar).

Interested in S Acetyl Glutathione. How long have you been taking this, which dose and where do you buy it from (it seems very expensive)? Have you tried acetyl-cysteine (NAC) before? It's a precursor of glutathion and also an antixidant and should increase glutathion production. It would be much cheaper than SAG.

I tried ribose for a while at 5g's 2-3x/day and got ok fx from that but then I read that ribose has a half life of less than an hour and should be spaced throughout the day for optimal fx so I tried doing it that way and wow, every little dose brings me up, I really look forward to taking a sip of that ribose water, have my alarm set for every 30 minutes. Reminds me of when I used to smoke cannabis way back when, looking forward to every redose. I tell you man, you may be sitting on an energy gold mine and not know it, maybe not as everyone's different, but worth a shot since it's such a minor change for something that may give such spectacular results.

Intersting you mention Eleuthero, I've been testing it some lately, some days I think it may really be increasing my energy, some things happened a week or two ago to interrupt testing so I haven't gotten back to it but it's promising. I've had good results from other adaptogens: Rhodiola Rosea, Garum Armoricum, and Ashwagandha. Rhodiola especially, although, I haven't tested them for more than two weeks at a time, I've read you have to take breaks every now and then with adaptogens if you want them to keep working well, and that may apply to other herbal sups too.

About the SAG, there is a good bit to it so I refer you to this detailed post I wrote about it here https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...e-things-my-dr-recommended.59157/#post-987889 if you're interested

overtheedge

@LINE I've been curious about charcoal, have you noticed any changes from using it?

@pamojja That's a good bit of Vitamin C, have you ever tried a Vitamin C flush?

pamojja

@pamojja That's a good bit of Vitamin C, have you ever tried a Vitamin C flush?

Yes, years ago I slowly titrated up the dose over some days, until experienced a flush at about 50 g ascorbic acid powder a day.

PS: Above 30 grams I get exceedingly flatulence, therefore I never stayed for long at such higher doses. Also usually no perceptible benefits. Except with temporal rhinitis. Where it works just as well as an anti-histamine.

Last edited: