• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nebulizing peroxide and glutathione

cfs since 1998

Nebulized glutathione was a proposed treatment by Martin Pall, and is also an ingredient of the proposed treatment inspiritol:
https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Inspiritol

https://meassociation.org.uk/2024/01/me-cfs-research-published-26-december-2023-1-january-2024/
Inspiritol "is a sterile isotonic pH-balanced liquid suspension with four ingredients: two endogenously produced compounds (glutathione and methylcobalamin); one repurposed prescription drug that is a pro-drug to an endogenously produced amino acid (N-acetylcysteine); one plant extract monoterpene cyclic ether (1,8-cineole) and one natural bicyclic sesquiterpene (β-caryophyllene), in a proprietary liquid carrier. "

I don't know what peroxide would do, and offhand can't think of any reason why you would want to inhale it.

Hip

I am not sure about the safety of nebulised hydrogen peroxide in the lungs, as lung tissue is delicate and so might be damaged by H2O2.

However, hydrogen peroxide is found in mother's milk, at a concentration of 8.75 μM = 0.3 μg/ml four weeks after birth. Ref: 1

So presumably, adults orally consuming hydrogen peroxide concentrations similar to the H2O2 concentrations imbibed by babies should be safe.

The adult equivalent H2O2 daily dose would be about 4 drops of 3% hydrogen peroxide (by my calculation given below).

Calculation for adult equivalent of the amount of hydrogen peroxide consumed by babies

Since a 4 week old baby drinks about 800 ml of mother's milk daily, they will be consuming around 0.3 x 800 = 240 μg = 0.24 mg of hydrogen peroxide per day.

But a 1 month old baby has about 20 times less body weight that an adult person, so the equivalent adult dose would be 20 x 0.24 = 4.8 mg H2O2 daily.

Now if we think in terms of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution, 4.8 mg of pure H2O2 equates to 4.8 x 100 / 3 = 160 mg of this 3% solution.

This is about 4 drops of 3% hydrogen peroxide solution (since one drop of 3% H2O2 solution weighs about 40 mg).

Interestingly, the average hydrogen peroxide concentration in rainwater in the US is 6.9 μM, which is similar to the breast milk concentration. 1 Some nations use rainwater for drinking water, so might be regularly consuming this concentration of H2O2.

Last edited:

Wayne

Thoughts?
I've done both. My understanding is our immune systems routinely make hydrogen peroxide when battling pathogens in the body. Also, there are many reports of IV Vitamin C being very helpful in chronic infectious states. A primary reason apparently being that the body converts much of this Vit. C into hydrogen peroxide.

I've noticed improvements in my health (and energy) since I began putting about 6 grams of sodium ascorbate into my daily coffee enemas. For perspective, I also add methylene blue, golden seal, iodine, niacin, and various other substances. I used to feel I had a lot of pathogenic bacteria in my GI tract, but I no longer believe that's the case since starting this regimen.

I often think of therapeutic enemas and nebulization as having similar therapeutic effects that can both offer benefits that are hard to replicate with strictly oral ingestion of the same substances. -- I just asked an AI website why nebulizing glutathione and H2O2 "might" work, and got the following answer, which pretty much falls in line with my own past research on the topic:

Answer
There are a few potential reasons why nebulizing glutathione and hydrogen peroxide could potentially help someone with long-term ME/CFS recover their health:​
  1. Oxidative stress reduction: Glutathione is a powerful antioxidant that can help reduce oxidative stress in the body. ME/CFS is associated with increased oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction, so boosting antioxidant levels could potentially help address this issue.
  2. Improved mitochondrial function: By reducing oxidative stress, these treatments may help improve mitochondrial function, which is often impaired in ME/CFS patients. Better mitochondrial function could lead to increased energy production.
  3. Anti-inflammatory effects: Both glutathione and hydrogen peroxide may have anti-inflammatory properties. Chronic inflammation is thought to play a role in ME/CFS, so reducing inflammation could potentially alleviate symptoms.
  4. Pathogen elimination: Some proponents claim that nebulized hydrogen peroxide can help kill pathogens in the respiratory system. If ME/CFS symptoms are partly driven by chronic infections, this could potentially be beneficial.
  5. Improved oxygenation: Hydrogen peroxide breaks down into water and oxygen. Some believe this could increase oxygen levels in the body, potentially benefiting energy production and overall health.

Last edited:

Wayne

So presumably, adults orally consuming hydrogen peroxide concentrations similar to the H2O2 concentrations imbibed by babies should be safe.
A Dr. David Brownstein (MD) from Michigan has successfully used nebulized H2O2 (amongst a number of other therapies) for the treatment of all kinds of respiratory infections for the past 20+ years. When he began to successfully treat COVID infections with the same therapies, he was threatened by the FDA and ordered to take down his YouTube videos for promoting unapproved therapies (so much for free speech).

As I recall, his concentration was .1% H2O2, though I've heard of some people using as high a concentration as 1-3% with no ill effects. My lungs couldn't handle anything above .5%. I no longer do this on a daily basis, as I believe Vit. C enemas offer more benefits.

Hip

Dr. David Brownstein (MD) from Michigan has successfully used nebulized H2O2 (amongst a number of other therapies) for the treatment of all kinds of respiratory infections for the past 20+ years.

I imagine a short term treatment might be OK, but a study showed that people who use bleach cleaning products (eg, to clean the bathroom) once a week have a 32% increased risk of developing the lung disease of COPD. So even breathing the incidental bleach vapours in the air while cleaning has a detrimental affect on the lungs.

Presumably if you are using hydrogen peroxide as an antimicrobial to treat the infections in ME/CFS, the objective would be to get the H2O2 into the bloodstream. Nebulising would achieve that, but as far as I can see, I imagine it would be safer to take orally.

If you use oral doses comparable to the mg/kg dose babies get from breast milk, my guess is that it should be safe.

Last edited:

overtheedge

Back in late 2011 I used oral H202 among other treatments, other treatments i have since retried without success, and went into remission for a time after months of use. really wish i knew what kind of dose/concentration of H202 i took

dannybex

I had one of my best remissions back in 2002-2003, when I was prescribed methylcobalamin shots along with nebulized glutathione. I started to get jittery, and have increased anxiety mid July 2003, so the doc stopped the B12 and prescribed thiamine injections. Felt 85% better in 2-3 days. So calm I felt like I could quit the clonazepam with ease. Wish I had...

Back