• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Myoclonic jerks

Thinktank

I've been dealing with myoclonic jerks ever since quitting clonazepam a few years ago.
I still suffer from protracted benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome but i fear these myoclonic jerks will not improve over time.

Lately these jerks have increased in severity and fequency, it's driving me mad.

Does anyone know of potential treatments besides a benzodiazepine or anticonvulsant medication? I really don't want to go that way.

I read something about piracetam as a potential treatment.
Appreciate any suggestion.

Hope4

Desert of SW USA
@Thinktank I am so sorry this is happening to you. :hug:

In case this might help:

If you are not already on a ketogenic diet, that might help. And eliminating all processed foods, additives/preservatives, etc., might reduce the severity or frequency. Sue Dengate, at her site Fed Up, has more information on an elimination diet, that might help.

I don't know if this is of any use. From The Cleveland Clinic:

• Medications: Anti-convulsant drugs, sedatives, or tranquilizers may help to reduce the frequency and/or intensity of myoclonic episodes in children with epilepsy. Sometimes more than one medication is needed to control myoclonus. Anti-convulsant drugs usually are prescribed for patients with juvenile myoclonus epilepsy.

• Clonazepam (Klonopin), a tranquilizer, is effective for some forms of myoclonus. Valproic acid (Depakene) is the drug of choice for young men with this condition, while lamotrigine (Lamictal) is recommended for young women, because it causes fewer side effects such as weight gain and polycystic ovary disease. Other effective anticonvulsant medications include levetiracetam (Keppra), topiramate (Topamax), and zonisamide (Zonegran).

• Barbiturates are sedatives that decrease the activity of the central nervous system and can reduce seizures.

I am sending you good thoughts for healing and comfort. :)

Last edited:

Thinktank

@Thinktank I am so sorry this is happening to you. :hug:

In case this might help:

If you are not already on a ketogenic diet, that might help. And eliminating all processed foods, additives/preservatives, etc., might reduce the severity or frequency. Sue Dengate, at her site Fed Up, has more information on an elimination diet, that might help.

I don't know if this is of any use. From The Cleveland Clinic:

• Medications: Anti-convulsant drugs, sedatives, or tranquilizers may help to reduce the frequency and/or intensity of myoclonic episodes in children with epilepsy. Sometimes more than one medication is needed to control myoclonus. Anti-convulsant drugs usually are prescribed for patients with juvenile myoclonus epilepsy.

• Clonazepam (Klonopin), a tranquilizer, is effective for some forms of myoclonus. Valproic acid (Depakene) is the drug of choice for young men with this condition, while lamotrigine (Lamictal) is recommended for young women, because it causes fewer side effects such as weight gain and polycystic ovary disease. Other effective anticonvulsant medications include levetiracetam (Keppra), topiramate (Topamax), and zonisamide (Zonegran).

• Barbiturates are sedatives that decrease the activity of the central nervous system and can reduce seizures.

I am sending you good thoughts for healing and comfort. :)

Thanks for the suggestion.
My body unfortunately does not agree with the ketogenic diet. My body craves glucose / carbs, i become very malnourished when i don't consume enough glucose. I also have IBD (Crohn's disease) and i find the ketogenic diet kinda hard on my intestines. The fact that i suffer from many IgE type allergies and intolerances doesn't help either.

I cook my food from scratch, all fresh produce. Lots of meat. Nothing processed (besides lays potato chips).

My myoclonic jerks are a result of protracted benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome. I really don't want to use any drug that can lead to tolerance and a withdrawal syndrome, i've been through hell to get off clonazepam (klonopin). All of the drugs on the list have a tendency to cause some kind of receptor downregulation and thus a withdrawal syndrome upon discontinuation.