• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

mTOR inhibitors and rapamycin

LaurelB

Hi all,

In this video from 2017, Ron Davis states that ME/CFS patients should avoid mTOR inhibitors, but doesn't go into detail as to why (beyond stating he found two patients with a rare mutation in mTOR). He speculates that it could make ME/CFS much worse, and could even possibly trigger ME/CFS. Does anyone have any further information on this? That is, what the mutation actually is, and what could go wrong in ME/CFS if taking an mTOR inhibitor?

I am asking in light of the recent Simmaron Research findings and their current trial on rapamycin (which is a known mTOR inhibitor). My doctor is interesting in trying rapamycin with me, and I would like to know more about why Dr. Davis advices against it before I try it.

Thanks for any information.

OMF video (cued up to the mTor question):