• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mitochondrial Function Profile (Acumen Laboratories, Biolab) via Dr. Myhill

Dechi

This is an old thread but I would like to know if anyone managed to win their disability claim with this test ?

Also the site says it's not done overseas anymore. Anyone from Canada succeeded in getting this test ?

Apologies for bumping an old thread, I have just been put on Dr Myhill's waiting list for this test and looking for some advice.

I have just started (about a week into) taking a methyl B complex, with the intention of buying the other supps to properly implement RichVanK's simplified protocol. I have a feeling the B complex might be starting to help, but my health fluctuates a lot so it's really hard to know.

I noticed that the MFP includes tests for glutathione production, so would I be better off stopping the B complex until after the test, so that I can get an idea of whether they're necessary (in terms of Rich's hypothesis)?

Would also be good to hear how people feel they're getting on long term with the recommendations made.

@parabola, bumping an old thread is not a problem. Unfortunately I have no idea about your question. Could you ask your doctor?
My GP is very 'vanilla' I'm afraid, I'm going this alone. I decided to stop the methyl B complex, but in other news after 5 days on it (and I keep a strict diary and am eating the same stuff daily at the moment- nothing else had changed), my constant bloating had gone down in the morning, which is amazing and never happens unless I basically starve! So anyone else with IBD/IBS issues might want to give it a go. The bloating came back as I stopped, but I'm hoping i'll get a repeat effect when I start them up again.

@parabola, I can't take B complexes. Do you think maybe it was at least partly the methylation?
I really can't put it down to anything else, it just came out of the blue because the bloat is ever-present. I have tested +/+ for C766T via the Yasko profile a few years ago but got so overwhelmed by all the info I did nothing about it. I didn't get any methylation start-up kind of symptoms. I've been having folic acid for about a year in the elemental drinks I take for my IBD, and I've been taking these plus these once a week for a couple of years. The B complex I took recently was this one, one a day, so they're not super high doses compared with some formulas.

godlovesatrier

I've just spotted this on Myhill's website

MITOCHONDRIAL TESTING and ACUMEN LABORATORIES
Covid 19 has brought many casualties and one of these is Acumen laboratories. Dr John McLaren Howard has been unable to access essential materials for Acumen tests and has taken this as an opportunity to start a well deserved retirement. He will be doing some research, but is no longer offering investigations for patients. This is a huge loss, but not all is lost by any means!
Over the years I have done 1,036 mitochondrial function tests with Biolab and Acumen. Results have been very consistent (not least of all because John did every test in quadruplicate to ensure consistency!). The point is that I know the regimes to correct mitochondrial function work reliably well and tests are not essential for recovery. Details of the necessary regimes can be see in [1] If you wish to learn more from the horse’s mouth then join a workshop [2]

https://www.drmyhill.co.uk/

So seems to me like Acumen labs are no longer offering the mito function profile test.