• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mind-boggling article in the BMJ as Wessely et al attempt to re-impose GET on severely ill ME patients

Countrygirl

https://jnnp.bmj.com/content/95/7/6...me-cfs-guideline-neither-robust-nor-thorough”

This is, frankly, astonishing. It is quite mind-boggling how allegedly intelligent people can be so delusional and divorced from reality and facts.

They have inflicted so much harm on a whole population of patients and still want to inflict yet more.

Neuropsychiatry

Review

NICE guideline on ME/CFS: robust advice based on a thorough review of the evidence

Compose a Response to This Article

Other responses​

Jump to comment:​

• Published on: 23 October 2024
    The revised NICE ME/CFS guideline: neither "robust" nor "thorough”
    • Paul Garner, Professor emeritus (evidence synthesis) Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine
    • Other Contributors:
      • Trudie Chalder, Professor of Cognitive Behavioural Psychotherapy
      • MIchael Sharpe, Oxford Emeritus Professor of Psychological Medicine
      • Jon Stone, Consultant Neurologist and Honorary Professor of Neurology
      • Alan Carson, Consultant Neuropsychiatrist and Honorary Professor
      • Simon Wessely, Professor of Psychological Medicine
      • Peter White, Professor emeritus of Psychological Medicine
    People with ME/CFS have a serious condition with high symptom burden and impaired function. They deserve guidelines that favour good care and effective treatment supported by the best research evidence of efficacy and safety. Unfortunately, that is not what 2021 NICE guidelines have achieved.
    The 2007 NICE guidance recommended cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) and graded exercise therapy (GET) “…as these interventions show clearest evidence of benefit.”(1) In spite of the strengthening of the evidence supporting these two treatments, the new 2021 guidance restricted the use of CBT to helping patients cope with illness related distress, and recommended that GET should not be used at all.(2)
    In response, 51 international clinicians and academics joined together to offer an alternative perspective, being particularly critical of the methods used to produce the guideline. (3)
    In response NICE advisors and staff have rejected this argument and have referred to the process as “robust” and “thorough”. (4) We are not convinced. We do not have space here to address every error but simply outline some of the most major areas of disagreement.
    Defining ME/CFS
    ----------------------
    Barry and colleagues state they appraised criteria to diagnose ME/CFS with the AGREE II instrument. This is a misuse of AGREE II, which is a tool to assess the robustness of procedures for developing guidelines: this is not a tool.....................

Hip

Looks like the main author of this article is emeritus Prof Paul Garner of the Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine.

He was the guy who had long COVID ME/CFS, but then recovered after 10 months (as lots of long COVID patients do, because recovery from post-viral fatigue is common in the first year or two after COVID).

However, he attributed his recovery to some mind/body psychological/relaxation techniques he started practising. Maybe these techniques helped him recover from his post-viral fatigue, since chronic stress reduces the antiviral immune response.

But recovering from post-viral fatigue is common anyway, whereas it is rare to see ME/CFS patients who have had their disease for a few years recover in improve from psychological techniques.

Indeed, GET and CBT often cause harm rather than benefit to ME/CFS patients.

Hip

There aren't many people that I would wish bad things for, but I do make some exceptions.

It is natural for people that believe they possess beneficial information for humanity to want to share that information. This is why we see when ME/CFS patients find some supplement or drug that was beneficial for them, they share the info online. So I suspect Paul Garner may be doing this with good intentions, but is not knowledgeable enough about ME/CFS to understand the harm he is doing.

This contrasts to the actions of psychiatrists Wessely, Sharpe, White, et al, who have attempted to psychologist ME/CFS because it fits into their (erroneous) philosophical worldview of disease causality, and because it pleases their paymasters, the disability insurance industry, who they have ties to.

If Paul Garner could be made to understand that his actions are damaging, then I suspect he might stop; or at least temper his comments to say that it is only a tiny minority of ME/CFS patients who actually improve from psychological therapy.

Whereas it would be near impossible to change the views of Wessely, Sharpe, White, et al, because their views are an entrenched philosophy that they hold.

Last edited:

southwestforests

The 2007 NICE guidance recommended cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) and graded exercise therapy (GET) “…as these interventions show clearest evidence of benefit.”(1) In spite of the strengthening of the evidence supporting these two treatments, the new 2021 guidance restricted the use of CBT to helping patients cope with illness related distress, and recommended that GET should not be used at all.(2)

That brings to mind these from 2016 about the PACE study,

PACE: The research that sparked a patient rebellion and challenged medicine
by sasusa | Mar 21, 2016 | Study design | 44 comments

... The question of how all this happened and how the criticism is being handled have sent shockwaves through medicine. The results from PACE (including these) have been published in prestigious journals and influenced public health recommendations around the world; and yet, unraveling this design and the characterization of the outcomes of the trial has left many people, including me, unsure this study has any scientific merit. How did the study go unchallenged for five years? And how could journalists have recognized the problems before reporting unqualified, but unjustified, good news?

There were problems with the study on almost all levels, but our goal in this piece is to examine a critical issue that is increasingly being talked about in academic research but less so in the news media, due to its complexity: study design.

https://senseaboutscienceusa.org/pace-research-sparked-patient-rebellion-challenged-medicine/

and,

Editorial: On PACE
by sasusa | Mar 21, 2016 | Study design | 39 comments

In 2011, amid many thoughtful avenues of research into a paralyzing syndrome that is as near to an off-switch on life as one can imagine, an $8 million dollar government-funded trial in the United Kingdom bulldozed a highway. The first results of PACE, the largest treatment trial ever conducted on ME/CFS— popularly, and unhelpfully, known as “Chronic Fatigue Syndrome”—announced a way out for, perhaps, a third of sufferers: As the British newspaper, The Independent, in a headline: “Got ME? Just get out and exercise, say scientists.”

This was not greeted as good news; indeed, to say sufferers were—to use a Britishism—gobsmacked was an understatement. The claim that ME/CFS could be ameliorated by graded exercise therapy (and cognitive behavior therapy) as the study suggested ran directly against many patients’ experience of the condition; moreover, the apparent success of these treatments in the trial suggested that the condition, or rather the prolonged experience of the condition, was mostly cognitive—‘in their heads,’ so to speak—rather than the result of any number of possible biological and organic infections or physical responses to the environment.

So what happens when the largest trial of its kind produces a result that overturns patient expectations and understandings? The institution of medicine trusts the trial; that’s the power of science, after all: the capacity of an appropriately designed study to disentangle perception from probability, cause from correlation, personal bias from objectivity. The PACE trial was “rigorously designed,” according to CNN, and it was published in one of the most prestigious medical journals, The Lancet, so its conclusions not only had the power to affect the way the condition was treated, they had the power to set the agenda for further research, potentially foreclosing other approaches.

https://senseaboutscienceusa.org/editorial-on-pace/

Countrygirl

Here is a group photo, minus Trudie, of the authors of the article.

1729852133678.png

Back