• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Microplastics affect macrophage function

Wishful

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/04/240415163703.htm

"In a paper published in the journal Cell Biology & Toxicology in 2021, Castillo and other UNM researchers found that when macrophages encountered and ingested microplastics, their function was altered and they released inflammatory molecules.

"It is changing the metabolism of the cells, which can alter inflammatory responses," Castillo says. "During intestinal inflammation -- states of chronic illness such as ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease, which are both forms of inflammatory bowel disease -- these macrophages become more inflammatory and they're more abundant in the gut.""

If ME makes our macrophages more responsive, extra stress from microplastics probably isn't helpful. I doubt that this is the cause of ME, but it could make some people worse than they otherwise would be.

datadragon

Yes unfortunately microplastics have been known to be inflammatory including the NLRP3 inflammasome was identified as critical in initiating this inflammatory chain reaction due to the mitochondrial ROS surge caused by MPs exposure.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S016041202300569X

If ME makes our macrophages more responsive, extra stress from microplastics probably isn't helpful. I doubt that this is the cause of ME, but it could make some people worse than they otherwise would be.

So that is one single additive exposure alongside numerous others and the list is getting very long. Anything that activates NLRP3 will lead to leaky gut with shift of the gut bacteria toward a more inflammatory state, lowering of zinc absorption, er stress with increase in WASF3 levels, and ME/CFS has been linked to that, but its just one single thing causing inflammation as mentioned. Some may be more exposed to one particular source of inflammation over others, but its just important to note that infection was not the sole driver of these type of problems as they all have common downstream effects from whatever the source is of the inflammation/infection exposure.

Last edited: