• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mestinon - pain increase?

Hi,

I've been working my way up to a decent Mestinon dose. I've also had an increase in pain. This could be...from anything, or just the illness. But wondering if anyone else has experienced this as a possible side effect.

I'm getting lots of muscle twitches/spasms too, but I think I read somewhere that's common (and not great on stomach)

Thanks

Mel9

Hi,

I've been working my way up to a decent Mestinon dose. I've also had an increase in pain. This could be...from anything, or just the illness. But wondering if anyone else has experienced this as a
I'm getting lots of muscle twitches/spasms too, but I think I read somewhere that's common (and not great on stomach)

Thanks

From my experience, muscle twitches indicate an overdose. Try decreasing the dose for a while?

MEPatient345

I'm getting lots of muscle twitches/spasms too,
Yes, agree w Mel that that’s an overdose. I found that I can tolerate small doses more often, so now I take 15mg every two hours, instead of 30mg every 3 or 4. I am only taking 3 or 4 doses a day but it’s really helped my headaches, might help my PEM too. I don’t think that more is necessarily better.

Thank you for the replies. I'm still at a very low dose, I don't think there's much chance of overdosing this level. There's so many things that could be increasing pain (most of which I probably will never know for sure) — I just wanted to see if anyone else had this coincide.