• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME symptomatic crash after Sauna

godlovesatrier

Have you tried buffered vitamin C? One form has calcium, magnesium and potassium, and there's another form called sodium ascorbate (with no calcium, etc.) You might tolerate these better.

Taking a bit of a high dose of vitamin C (plain ascorbic acid) at night is making a world of difference for my sleep. A "bit of a high dose" is 2000 mg after dinner and 3000 mg. before bed and 3000 more in the middle of the night. Vitamin C ameliorates glutamate-induced excitotoxicity.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25701025
http://web.stanford.edu/group/hopes/cgi-bin/hopes_test/vitamin-c/

I'm not trying to derail your thread here, I'm explaining all this as a lead up to the fact that sodium ascorbate did NOT help me with sleep, despite being a form of vitamin C, and it left me feeling flat. And I didn't try the buffered form with calcium because calcium was part of my problem in not sleeping.

Which leads to my point that if you try a buffered form of vitamin C, you might tolerate it and it might work, or it might not work the same as regular ascorbic acid did for you. I don't know why the sodium ascorbate did not help me with sleep, unlike plain ascorbic acid, but that's what happened (or, rather, didn't happen).

I wonder if you would tolerate liposomal vitamin C better? I know it's pricey. Here's a thread on making your own: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...o-make-liposomal-vitamin-c-for-viruses.38867/

Didn't see this reply sorry. So Vitamin C - well firstly I think I must be intolerant to it - is that even possible? I take buffered in small amounts, or even drink fruit juices high in vitamin c (say 1 litre for example) and I get irritation. Essentially the only form I think that would work for me is topical or IV. However before I reached Vitamin C tolerance - which took one week at 3000mg per day. I noticed that my symptoms almost disappeared overnight when I took this dosage level. I now use trans-dermal patches as it's the only way I can (supposedly) get large amounts of vitamin C into my body. Problem is there is no scientific proof these even work and I am not even sur emyself!!

I wish there was a way I could be sure the trans dermals do work, even though they appear to have lowered inflammation overnight, I really cannot be sure if it's just my imagination. Also my chronic dehydration has only been helped with the trans dermal patches. Large amounts of vitamin C are the only thing that help my dehydration. So I do think they must work, but it still feels anecdotal.

As for buffered vitamin C I tried that and it had the same effect.

How does the home made one differ from buffered and absorbic @Mary ? I am just intrigued as I am happy to give this a go but want to be sure it's worthit :) I checked out your link, I just can't see the difference between crystals and absorbic powder? Although my Nutritionist did recommend crystals so maybe I am missing a trick?

Thanks,

Mary

Moderator Resource
firstly I think I must be intolerant to it - is that even possible?
I think almost anything is possible with this illness! Seriously - people have developed sensitivities they never had before they became ill. I'm very fortunate in that I'm not sensitive to very much.
I wish there was a way I could be sure the trans dermals do work, even though they appear to have lowered inflammation overnight, I really cannot be sure if it's just my imagination. Also my chronic dehydration has only been helped with the trans dermal patches. Large amounts of vitamin C are the only thing that help my dehydration. So I do think they must work, but it still feels anecdotal.
One way to find out if they are truly helping you would be to stop them for a few days, and then restart, and see what difference, if any, you see. Although if something is truly helping me, even if I don't know how or why, I generally don't want to stop it! But I think that would be a fair test. And lots of drugs are administered transdermally. Pain meds, nicotine patches, lots of things. I think you can OD on patches, depending on what they are delivering to the body. So I don't see why vitamin C could not be administered in a similar way.

Gravity was just anecdotal until Isaac Newton formulated a scientific theory about it.

I know, you want scientific testing proving the transdermal C is working. I don't know if you'll get it, though it seems there must be some research somewhere about this. But even if you don't find any, I would definitely keep doing what you're doing as long as it seems to be of benefit.

How does the home made one differ from buffered and absorbic @Mary ? I am just intrigued as I am happy to give this a go but want to be sure it's worthit :) I checked out your link, I just can't see the difference between crystals and absorbic powder?
The homemade stuff is liposomal vitamin C. You make it with ascorbic acid and lecithin, I don't know of any difference between crystals and powder. This article by Dr. Mercola explains what liposomal technology is - supposedly vitamin C in liposomal form is much less likely to irritate the digestive tract and is much better absorbed, perhaps even rivaling IV vitamin C in bioavailability. Dr. Mercola does want to sell his product (other companies make it too) so you might want to do your own research on this. Liposomal vitamin C is more costly than plain ascorbic acid, so people have made their own, which supposedly is just as effective but much cheaper.

I have no idea whether or not you would react badly to liposomal vitamin C. You might, or might not. The link I gave you talks about ways to make your own. And there is a simple inexpensive method using a blender which is supposed to be as good as the expensive stuff you can buy on-line or in health food stores.

godlovesatrier

Hi @Mary . I've been using the Liposamal now since about Nov 24th. I am not sure if it has had an effect yet but I suspect I will know for certain when it runs out. Coincidentally the thirst and dehydration only appear to become really bad when my immune system is fending something off. I know when it's not because my energy levels are almost normal, whereas as soon as I get something they dip. Most people with ME wouldn't notice but because the time between dips is long enough I can actually see them occurring now.

As for other PEM relievers I'm still using the cordyceps and reishi when I need to, to power through a cold or to help myself get going at the weekends if I have things to do. I'd say I am more or less in remission, symptoms have disappeared, the issue now is whether I can tolerate exercise or not. Assuming I get over this cold/bug that everyone in my office has got, I should be able to test my theory over christmas.

But I am still expecting symptom onset gradually over time, as happened in March.

Archie