• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS, epidemiology, and locations map

frozenborderline

Unfortunately, Lisa Petrison has taken down the locations rating map, which is the first link on this page https://paradigmchange.me/rate-locations/. However the individual rating pages for states are still up. I would be interested in seeing feedback from other PR members on how their home city stacks up on this page.

Obvious limitations to this, but considering nobody is doing any kind of formal study on this important topic i figured it would be interesting to do informal studies. I did ask the OMF to do a study of this kind (pointing out that doing some kind of geographic map of a large sample of cases and where they first got sick, woukd be cheaper than mass spectroscopy on mycotoxins) but they basically refused. :(. So before anyone points out this being informal and not scientifically rigorous , know that I tried to get it done formally

frozenborderline

Lisa Petrison had two maps which are now down. A locations rating map which was conscious ratings of what places felt good or bad to people on a 1-5 scale, within yhe USA. And a visitors map which tracked the IP address of places and thus yhe frequency of visitors to her site from a given place. She thought the latter might be more helpful given that it over comes possible biases in conscious self reporting pf areas. Of course you would expect to see some areas artificially elevated because mold avoiders deliberately moved there and still use Lisa's site-and this is true for a couple small ateas like Taos or pahrump Nevada ,but the pattern seemed useful on a larger scale and with larger cities.

These maps were great. If you happen to be on Facebook please ask Lisa to put them back up

frozenborderline

I can say off the top of my head, the bay area and Boston and Tucson and thr cities (not the high desert or temperate rainforests wilderness) of the Pacific Northwest are all some notoriously bad areas. Most of the cities on the eastern seaboard and most of Texas , also. So , curious to see how many people live in those places or lived there when they got sick. Of course even in places that are highly rated and have good outdoor air and biome , bad buildings can still be a problem. There are still people that get very Ill from mold in Taos for example even though the outdoor air is reported to be great

frozenborderline

Tucson is a particularly interesting one because a lot of people assume anywhere in the desert will be good and then move to Tucson , which is supposedly really bad,and do not improve. Lisa Petrison said Tucson is bad in a deceptive way, because it's a smaller city than phoenix and one would expect it to be better, but it is blanketed with a particular kind of outdoor toxin from who knows what , and is in a basin, so bad air cannot be blown out.

I'm trying to think of other areas that are like that, in that one would expect them to be good because In the desert or west and then they aren't. I guess a lot of Colorado , especially Boulder and Denver , fit that description but not supposedly as bad as Tucson. Salt lake City also.

Rufous McKinney

A locations rating map which was conscious ratings of what places felt good or bad to people on a 1-5 scale, within yhe USA

I looked at my state which I have considerable familiarity with. Two towns out in the desert were highly skewed due to much higher reporting.

The town I could blame for my toxic exposure received a reasonable rating from the raters. I would not give it that rating.

Interesting that the tiny town I live in has more ratings than Big Cities. THis town likely attracted some sick people to come here, as there is alot of healing retreats and stuff around here.

The issue of where people first devleoped the illness geographically would be interesting to place 1000sof dots on. This might be more of a math exercise than a medical exercise. For me, it will always be a guess. And thats not great data. Oh, and it might matter what criteria is used to ID: the hapless victims.

Because I got so much more sick 6-10 months after 280,000 acres of the surroundings incinerated and this is reported by lawyers as Toxic. So then I got way worse. So I can never really say- it was what happened when I was 10, or was it what happened so much more fiercely, 50 plus years later.

frozenborderline

Interesting that the tiny town I live in has more ratings than Big Cities. THis town likely attracted some sick people to come here, as there is alot of healing retreats and stuff around here.
Going to try and guess --santa fe, Sedona, Denver?? Lol. I liked Sedona air wise and think the ratings on that one are skewed