• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mayo Clinic finally responds!

Centime Tara

Some of you may remember that I sent a scorching letter to Mayo Clinic about two months ago after a very bad experience with them. You can find it under the thread "Mayo Clinic: the good, the bad, and the ugly"). Well, I finally got a response from them. Pretty lame, but I'm sure they're afraid of lawsuits. I've decided to let the whole thing go except for the autonomic reflex screen, which I have to have redone. I'm insisting that they not charge me for that, since it was clearly their fault that the results were unusable, and I'm sure insurance won't pay for it twice. Just thought those of you who were kind enough read and comment on my earlier diatribe might be interested in seeing their response. Thanks for all your comments and support!

Attachments

• Mayo response.pdf
    60.3 KB · Views: 71

Jyoti

Certainly could have hoped for more/better. But then again, if you keep in mind the disorganization and lack of attention to you while you were THERE, it is not utterly surprising. Probably right to drop it and get on with what life offers in the moment.

But...thanks for following up with us. I appreciate knowing about your experience and their response to your clear and compelling letter. Let's me know never to go down that road.

wabi-sabi

Thanks for the update- I was wondering. Yes, think it's wise to focus on the battles where you can make a difference and not spend energy unnecessarily. And it's really good to insist on the non-payment, since finances are the one way you (and all of us) may get them to pay attention. They may not be able to understand pathophys, but they do understand getting paid or not.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Thanks for posting @Centime Tara! Good for you for following up with them. Yes, their response certainly is lukewarm - actually I don't think it addresses any of your concerns. It particularly struck me where they say:

Your feedback on the relevance of Graduated Exercise Therapy. You shared that many studies and comparable institutions are no longer using this approach and in some progressive circles [?!?] it is viewed as outdated.

That's just bizarre - "progressive circles"?? Are we talking politics here instead of medicine? The CDC, Stanford and Harvard are considered "progressive circles"? No wonder Mayo is in the dark ages!!! :aghhh:

vision blue

I just read the reply. i remember your posting on it so was curious. could be worse, but what bothered me about the reply is that they did not elaborate on the reasons they found the care to be appropriate. i mean they could at least has said that they found on review things were treated appropriately because those things they did were "standard of care" (that phrase makes me want to barf) even though they recognize that there is research out there that suggests a different approach. But nope, not that, nor any explanation- and seems to me you were owed that.

was also annoying they said your primary request was to not be charged financially. I did not get that sense at all when i read your letter. its insulting they code it that way. reminds of a trivial thing- i received groceries from Whole Foods today. i selected the option to have them handed to me and not left at my doorstep. So what did the driver do? Leave them at my doorstep. i've had this driver before and it's one of their lazy ones. So i complained, and let them know what a pain it was, and if theyre going to do that they have to let me know so i can make the arragnments ineed to get the food in, yada yada yada. Whole foods reply? Here is 5 dollar credit for your next order. Sigh.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Centime Tara
Thank you so much for following up for us on this.

I've read a lot of caviling, issue-begging, blame-evading crap before, but the response from the Mayo is of almost Olympic quality.

Tho we can be reassured that they've "..... shared forward to leadership ..." the issues outlined in your letter to them :sleep: :sleep:. If "leadership's" comprehension is on a par with their writing skills, we can be assured of absolutely nothing at all.

Where do these people come from? Is there a unique, underground university system specializing in turning out perfect idiots? Cause if there is, they've totally nailed it !!!

Onward and upward :rocket::rocket::rocket: !!!

southwestforests

Some of you may remember that I sent a scorching letter to Mayo Clinic about two months ago after a very bad experience with them.

At risk of looking like I'm trying to overshadow your situation, here are my similar with University of Missouri.
Our experiences are so similar that the mindset behind the reply can not be isolated incidents, that is why I'm posting mine here.

I'm starting to believe that;
This is common.
This is planned.
And it probably is taught somewhere.

First, the corporate reply,
Dear Mr. W---------

I am sorry for your challenging interaction with our Neurology Department and Environmental Services team. I am actively looking into your concern with our head of the outpatient practice in the Neurology Department as well as the Environmental Services team. We get better through challenging feedback, and I am grateful that you took the time to let me know your concerns around patient safety.

If we can be of service to you in the future, I hope that you will give us the opportunity to serve you.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Best,
-------------

"your challenging interaction"
?
Ohhh please.

Talk about corporate babblespeak.

Okay, my scorching letter, with some personal identification edited out;
Hello;
After finding dried blood on Neurology exam table on July 3, I am done using MU's hospital and clinics.

Here's what happened:

Went up there for a 3pm appointment for a couple skin biopsies. Had a driver from Hometown Homecare in -------- with me because my health no longer allows me to drive that far.

Got back in the exam room, procedure room, whatever the correct term for it is.
A gal came in with the required tools and supplies and got them opened and arranged.
Then she and the gal from Hometown Homecare stepped out.
I got my clothes changed.
Sat down on the side of the exam table.
Reached down and pulled out the footrest/legrest extension.

That's kind of interesting, a pair of palm-sized red smears.

And I'll be it ain't lipstick.

So I got dressed, opened the door, asked for someone official to come look.

The gal who had laid out the tools came in and looked.
Then she went and got the RN.
In a few minutes the RN came in.
We talked.
Somewhere during that time the dried blood was cleaned off by the gal who was the one who had prepared the tools and instruments.

And comment was made that the person who cleaned the rooms was not aware of the sliding portion.
Uhh, say what?
(and then I wonder if the pocket the sliding portion is retained in under the exam table surface has a top which rubbed against the blood on the sliding portion)

During all the goings on I decided that I'm done doing business with and getting health care from University Hospital and clinics.
Done.
Just plain done.
I'm done making appointments.
I'm done making bill payments.

RN asked if I wished to talk to the Doctor.
Nope, I'm done here.

Add the above to some months back, maybe even last year, when an attending physician came in and without preamble or warning began taking the reflex hammer and rapidly hitting, emphasis on the hitting, my various joints while rapid firing questions and demands for information.

Umm, excuse me, you DO NOT do that kind of thing to someone who has told you on their medical history that they have autism and PTSD.

So, yes, my experience with University Hospital Neurology has soured me on the whole institution.
Which is kind of sad, because my parents went to MU in the 1950s and met there, and worked in what was the hospital at that time, Dad as an orderly while he was doing Navy ROTC and Mom in the kitchen while getting her degree as a Nutritionist.

As for me, way back in 19------ I almost made it through LPN school in -------, at what was then the ------------- School of Practical Nursing; plus, before that I had worked in housekeeping department a couple summers at a hotel on the -------------- in -----------. So, I'm not ignorant of what's involved here.

F----------- S----------- W------------
------------, Missouri.

wabi-sabi

@Centime Tara

I was just wondering if there was any more news and progress on your case. I also came across another resource that might be interesting. There's an organization called The Joint Commission on Hospital Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations that do some hospital monitoring including patient safety issues. I think that getting recommended a harmful treatment (GET/CBT) counts as patient harm. They have a complaint email line where patients can message them about bad care. It is complaint@jointcommission.org Or look at their website under File a Complaint.

Not sure if you hard further interest or energy for pursuing this, but if you did, this might be a good option.

Centime Tara

Thanks for this info. I’m glad to know about that organization. The end result of my Mayo tirade was that they finally agreed to un-charge (!) my insurance for the autonomic reflex screen. I’m getting another one done at Columbia in NYC in March. We shall see if the insurance goes through. I have a feeling the battle isn’t over yet!