• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnesium- what European brands can be tolerated with IBS?

There is tons of information on whether to take Magnesium Biglycinate, citrate etc. etc.

There is nothing on brands and I notice a big difference between brands.

Out of the 5 brands I tried, 3 don't work on me. or give me stomach aches (I have constipation dominant IBS and I tend to get stomach aches easily.

So far I found Magnesium Diasporal which a crazily expensive brand from Germany works the best.
I want to try another brand and would prefer a recommendation.

I tried life extension brand of magnesium threonate (neuro mag) and hated the artificial flavour and found it helped less than the Magnesium Diasporal.

Cal mag powder hurt my stomach.

Rather than waste money randomly trying another 5 different brands, could anyone direct me to a brand of magnesium they have tried that works for them?
Ideally from Europe or from iherb or vitacost because they ship worldwide, but grateful for any brand recommendation.

Last edited:

Hip

Generally speaking, magnesium is magnesium, and one brand or another is not going to make any difference. But the form of magnesium might.

If you have IBS-D, then you will be more prone to bowel flushing if you take oral magnesium. (Though if you have IBS-C, then oral magnesium can actually help relieve the constipation). One answer is to take magnesium transdermally, where you can get a high dose without affecting the bowels.

If anyone knows an oral magnesium brand that they liked, please let me know.

I like Magnesium Diasporal. It does not give me stomach aches and I felt more calm while taking it. The taste was nice though that does not matter.
No bowel problems at all and I am really sensitive.

I just couldn't stand the price. 80 shekels or between 15-20 pounds for just 20 doses. It must be a serious supplement because only pharmacies sell it in Israel and it seems to be imported from Germany all over Europe. There has to be a cheaper alternative.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I've had great good luck with Solgar's Chelated Magnesium, which is magnesium glycinate. I know that iHerb carries it, and I think that Amazon UK does as well.

It gave me no stomach irritation, and none of the famous bowel effects that large doses of magnesium can cause, and I was taking LARGE doses daily, tho broken down into innumerable small doses which was what seemed to do the trick for me. Larger doses did nothing, either good or bad.

Hip

Does transdermal magnesium - particularly BetterYou magnesium spray, actually absorb?

Is there research that says it does absorb?

Unless you are particularly intent on some retail therapy, transdermal magnesium you can make up yourself very cheaply using Epsom salts.

Yes it does absorb. A study on transdermal magnesium is found in the above link I gave.

Plum

Does transdermal magnesium - particularly BetterYou magnesium spray, actually absorb?

Is there research that says it does absorb?
@Plum do you feel it helps and absorbs or is it difficult to say?
It does absorb on me. I get symptoms when I don't use it. I am unable to take pills so I was left with this as my only option. I think there's more info from the company on these pages:

https://betteryou.com/evidence-transdermal-magnesium-absorption

https://betteryou.com/transdermal-magnesium

Cipher

Administrator
If anyone knows an oral magnesium brand that they liked, please let me know.

I like Magnesium Diasporal. It does not give me stomach aches and I felt more calm while taking it. The taste was nice though that does not matter.
No bowel problems at all and I am really sensitive.

I just couldn't stand the price. 80 shekels or between 15-20 pounds for just 20 doses. It must be a serious supplement because only pharmacies sell it in Israel and it seems to be imported from Germany all over Europe. There has to be a cheaper alternative.

Diasporal contains a form of magnesium citrate, which you can buy as a pure powder and get a much better price/mg. I have recently tested many different suppliers of magnesium citrate, and they are not all the same. Bulksupplements.com for example labeled their "Magnesium Citrate", even though it most likely contains trimagnesium citrate nonahydrate. The reason why I believe that is because it wasn't soluble in water. And "regular" magnesium citrate is water-soluble. And non-water-soluble compounds tends to have low bioavailability, like magnesium oxide for example. However, not all trimagnesium citrate is the same. According to this site it exists at least two forms of trimagnesium citrate; the anhydrous form and the nonahydrate form, of which the latter is not water-soluble. I've tested both bulksupplements.com and myprotein.com and they were both insoluble in water. They weren't magnesium oxide though as I initially thought as they burned when under fire. Diasporal according to its label contains trimagnesium dicitrate, probably in the anhydrous form. I've found a source of pure trimagnesium dicitrate anhydrous powder on Amazon.de. The cost excluding shipping is 0,088 euro / 400 mg elemental magnesium (don't forget to change the language to English via the "globe" button to the right of the magnifying glass search button at the top). EDIT: I now see that Amazon doesn't ship that item to Israel directly, but you can use a re-shipper such as mailboxde.com. Another thing I saw now was that the site I linked to earlier is actually the website of an Israeli producer of trimagnesium citrate anhydrous. You could contact them to see if they know any Israeli distributors of their product.

I've had great good luck with Solgar's Chelated Magnesium, which is magnesium glycinate. I know that iHerb carries it, and I think that Amazon UK does as well.

It gave me no stomach irritation, and none of the famous bowel effects that large doses of magnesium can cause, and I was taking LARGE doses daily, tho broken down into innumerable small doses which was what seemed to do the trick for me. Larger doses did nothing, either good or bad.

Of what I can see on iherb it seems like Solgar Chelated Magnesium tablets does not only contain magnesium glycinate, but also an unknown quantity of magnesium oxide. It also contains titanium dioxide which is something you want to minimize your intake of. France recently banned titanium dioxide.

https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.8b00747
In vivo studies in animal models indicate that after ingestion TiO 2 NPs can enter the systemic circulation, penetrate red blood cells and reach different organs and tissues in the body. They were also reported to cross cell membranes and pass the blood-placenta and blood-brain barriers. It has been suggested that nanosized TiO 2 may damage the intestinal epithelium and affect food absorption. In mice, daily oral doses of E171, at levels similar to the estimated human daily intake, resulted in the intestinal accumulation of TiO 2 NPs which promoted mucosal inflammation and facilitated the formation of preneoplastic lesions. The exposure of rodents to TiO 2 NPs resulted in the induction of oxidative damage, lipid peroxidation and potential adverse effects on the respiratory, cardiovascular and nervous systems, also in absence of detectable titanium in the tissue, suggesting that the effects are mediated by systemic pathway

Last edited:

YippeeKi YOW !!

Of what I can see on iherb it seems like Solgar Chelated Magnesium tablets does not only contain magnesium glycinate, but also an unknown quantity of magnesium oxide. It also contains titanium dioxide which is something you want to minimize your intake of. France recently banned titanium dioxide.
Yes, the mag oxide inclusion was initially a stopper for me, but I needed an easily titrated dose delivery, and Solgar's was the only tablet form I could find. Anything else, like powdered forms, would have required humping up and down a very long flight of stairs every hour or slightly less, and I just wasn't able to handle that at that time. Not sure I could now, tho I'm much better.

It also came in a neat oblong shape, making it very easy to cut in half for the 50 mg doses that I was taking every 45 - 60 minutes to deal with excruciating, endless 19 hour-plus chest ripping, head exploding, panic attacks, since I was profoundly opposed to taking any of the Dr-offered meds (all benzos or Z-benzos) to deal with that condition. It was also helpful with other symptomatologies I was dealing with, and to a much lesser degree, still am.

I have to assume that the amount of mag oxide is pretty low, since I also take that, in BulkSupplements powdered form, for constipation. Very effective, and at doses much lower than what I was taking in the Solgar form. In spite of doses sometimes as high as 2 gms a day in the chelated mag form, I never had any issues with diarrhea, stomach or intestinal pain, or any of the other unpleasantnesses usually connected with other forms of mag at high doses.

There's not much I can do about the titanium dioxide at this point, but the amounts used are extremely small according to Solgar.

I thank you for that reminder tho, and God, what I wouldn't give for a single-edged sword !!!!

Avena

@Insomniac does your Customs allow you to order from outside of EU? iherb.com and Vitacost.com is two US stores with affordable shipping that carries most known US brands and ship to Europe.

https://purebulk.com/ has «pure» supplements (no fillers etc added). Also ship from US to Europe.

Yes cutoms allow me to order from outside the EU. I just said EU because it tends to arrive faster in the post and because it is hard to find American store. Thank you for the link to that shop

YippeeKi YOW !!

https://purebulk.com/ has «pure» supplements (no fillers etc added). Also ship from US to Europe.
I agree with @Avena .... this is a high-quality, totally trust-worthy company and their products are excellent. They also provide 3rd party evaluations of contents, strength, purity etc. Having a very numb-brain day so can't remember the actual name for those ... :xeyes::xeyes::xeyes: