• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnesium Glycinate vs Threonate?

MonkeyMan

Happy new year to all. I was wondering if anyone has tried both magnesium glycinate and magnesium threonate? I have problems with insomnia and constipation and was hoping magnesium glycinate would help, but it made the insomnia much worse, and didn't do a thing for the constipation. Now I'm considering trying magnesium threonate instead, but it's expensive.

Thanks to anyone who can advise on this.

LINE

Magnesium comes in many forms, and they can have different properties and of course, individual responses can vary. Magnesium Citrate may be a form to look at since it is often used to relieve constipation. UltraMag could be a good choice as well since it contains a number of forms of magnesium.

Last edited:

perchance dreamer

I absorb magnesium lactate really well. It helps me with both sleep and constipation. I use Premier Research Magnesium Powder, which is the lactate form.

Natural Calm is another inexpensive magnesium product. It contains magnesium carbonate, and judging from user reviews, helps quite a few people with the issues you mention. I quit taking it because I have sensitive teeth and find it acidic.

People react so differently to the various forms of magnesium. Magnesium threonate crosses the blood-brain barrier and helps many with cognition. However, it gives me really bad insomnia, even if I take just a little bit 1st thing in the morning. Good luck in your experiments.

Tammy

Interesting how some things affect us all differently. I take Magnesium Glycinate and it does help most of the time with relaxation before sleep as well as muscle tension. Also If i happen to be constipated,4 caps of 310 mg each helps.
I've never tried Mag threonate
How much Magnesium Glycinate were you taking?