• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low glutamine on amino acids test

renski

Low glutamine in an amino acids test - the notes from my test:

Glutamine can be manufactured in muscle tissue either directly from glutamate or from
its precursor, ?-ketoglutarate. Around 60% of glutamine is synthesized in this manner,
the remainder being obtained from dietary sources.

A low Glutamine / Glutamate ratio reflects inhibition of the enzyme glutamine
synthetase or a reduction in the supply of ATP & NH3 required to drive the reaction.
Therefore, this ratio is a surrogate marker for mitochondrial dysfunction, heavy metal
or environmental chemical toxicities.

What is the answer here, push ATP with supplements, or remove heavy metals? Taking glutamine isn’t the answer since it’s excitatory to me, healing the gut with other nutrients though?

renski

Having a leaky gut, I believe, is what's causing my ME/CFS. So I would say yes, absolutely fix your gut. Are you doing anything now to treat your gut?

Not really, I've tried a few things but don't know what to do, I can tolerate glutamine in a mixed formula like Metagenics glutagenics but not on its own for some reason. Can't handle HCL, antimicrobials, digestive enzymes etc.

ljimbo423

Not really, I've tried a few things but don't know what to do, I can tolerate glutamine in a mixed formula like Metagenics glutagenics but not on its own for some reason. Can't handle HCL, antimicrobials, digestive enzymes etc.

Unfortunately this happens a to a lot of people. They can't handle most things to treat their gut. It happened with me too. I took 2 courses of Rifaximin, to lower the bacteria levels in my gut.

That allowed me to start, very slowly, an herbal protocol, with tolerable side effects.

renski

Unfortunately this happens a to a lot of people. They can't handle most things to treat their gut. It happened with me too. I took 2 courses of Rifaximin, to lower the bacteria levels in my gut.

That allowed me to start, very slowly, an herbal protocol, with tolerable side effects.

I see, something like that would wipe me out, I can tolerate antimicrobials its just they don't seem to be the answer. I did a antimicrobial treatment a while ago and it wiped out my flora in the gut and made me very sick, so while I have chronic dysbiosis attacking it with antimicrobials isn't the answer.. which I don't understand. Is it a case of having to heal the gut first and support digestion, then attacking the dysbiosis? The usual protocols have it the other way round though.

ljimbo423

Is it a case of having to heal the gut first and support digestion, then attacking the dysbiosis? The usual protocols have it the other way round though.

What I've learned is that treating dysbiosis and leaky gut is a long term project. It has taken me 2.5 years to go from about a 3 on the disability scale here at PR, to a solid 6 but I also continue to improve.

When I first started treating my gut, I thought it would take much less time and by now I would be close to 100%. It's usually a very slow process to turn things around in the gut.

Having said that, I would do it all over again in a heartbeat, to gain the quality of life I have now.

So I think the dysbiosis needs to be addressed first and it will work with time, it's just a slow process.

renski

Hmm ok, is treating the dysbiosis as simple as killing the bacteria or need to support secretory iga first (which is low due to leaky gut)?

I don't know if the OP is just missing something with his protocol/treatment but he's referring to the dysbiosis being there due to other causes: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...lfur-pst-and-sulfate-reducing-bacteria.39415/

Adrenal issues can cause low sIgA but what are adrenal issues, B vitamin deficiencies.. I also have high oxalates (endogenous and dietary)

Last edited:

ljimbo423

Hmm ok, is treating the dysbiosis as simple as killing the bacteria or need to support secretory iga first (which is low due to leaky gut)?

From the reading I've done. I think low Secretory iga is as you say..... low due to leaky gut and dysbiosis. So treating the dysbiosis, would be the first thing to do. You can always add in other treatments once you have a solid dysbiosis/leaky gut protocol in place.

I don't know if the OP is just missing something with his protocol/treatment but he's referring to the dysbiosis being there due to other causes: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...lfur-pst-and-sulfate-reducing-bacteria.39415/

I don't think this post is talking about dysbiosis as it relates to leaky gut. This post is talking about sulfate reducing bacteria and sulfate deficiency. There are so many things that cause dysbiosis, it's usually the cause of many problems, not the other way around.

renski

I don't think this post is talking about dysbiosis as it relates to leaky gut. This post is talking about sulfate reducing bacteria and sulfate deficiency. There are so many things that cause dysbiosis, it's usually the cause of many problems, not the other way around.

Lack of sulfate would cause leaky gut, there are articles like this one where he refers to the dysbiosis being attacked wasn't the answer (https://www.eonutrition.co.uk/post/sulfate-v-an-introduction-to-oxalate-toxicity-gut-dysbiosis)..

ljimbo423

renski

It feels like you are looking for something other than a bacterial overgrowth as a cause for your leaky gut. I don't know what that could be, sorry. Maybe somebody else can help you out.

Going by that article, he's saying the dysbiosis is a protective mechanism by the body due to a lack of sulfate.

renski

I think another scenario is someone can have bile issues and develop SIBO/dysbiosis from a lack of bile, so that's another situation where just killing the bacteria won't do anything.