• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low dose abilify effects on anxiety

godlovesatrier

Hi all,

I wanted to find out if anyone had noticed low dose abilify improved their anxiety? I started a new job last year and the pressure of it has gradually got worse as times gone on. I work in tech so things change all the time which makes it a lot worse. But I'm finding my memory is getting worse and worse and my ME is certainly not improving (it briefly improved in a period with less stress) but I now feel like work stress is making it impossible.

As we all know anxiety induces spikes in cortisol with regular cortisol increases outside of those spikes and these suppress immune function reactivating a wide variety of pathogens. Inc ebv, rna viruses like COVID or Coxsackie and bacterial load (streptococcus, candida etc).

So I wanted to know if ability reduced your anxiety? Mines prob a 6 most of the time, before this job it was prob a 3 or a 2 most of the time. I think valtrex is currently preventing me from going into a much more severe crash due to stress.

But I don't really want to try ability if it's going to mess with my microbiome (it kills a lot of important bacteria like akkermansia and my akkermansia disappeared two months ago for the first time in two years) and my hormone levels.

Thanks for any insight! Dr Bansal has recommended I try low dose abilify. And I have a GP letter good to go.

hapl808

But I don't really want to try ability if it's going to mess with my microbiome (it kills a lot of important bacteria like akkermansia and my akkermansia disappeared two months ago for the first time in two years) and my hormone levels.

LDA kinda concerns me. I actually filled a prescription but haven't taken it. Seems to have so much potential, but also stories of people where they got worse when it finally crapped out. On the one hand, since cognitive exertion is one of my PEM triggers - something that affects neurotransmitters seems worthy. On the other hand, it feels like pulling levers in the dark and hoping we don't pull the wrong one and give someone a new and worse chemical imbalance? Hope you get answers from others with experience.

godlovesatrier

Thanks hap. And there's been some new research into ssris they are potently anti bacterial and they kill healthy bacteria and unhealthy alike. Extinction events from drugs are likely a massively under researched area of study. But all the major ssris were just as bad as each other.

Abilify does scare me as it could be just as bad as the ssris.

Thanks!

JES

Abilify is rather stimulating, so it has a chance to increase your anxiety, but individual response to drugs is often unpredictable and can be almost the opposite for ME/CFS patients for example than for a healthy person. Abilify increased my restlessness and reduced my sleeping hours.

SSRI's at low dose I have found to help somewhat with anxiety. They don't do anything for my ME/CFS symptoms, but I do notice a slight reduction in anxiety while on them. With normal dose they reduce my energy too much.

lenora

Have you tried something like Buspar or Lyrica (especially if you have FM and the pain that goes along with it). I was on Buspar for probably 15 yrs. (time not exact) or more. It worked beautifully.

I've had many rounds of really bad anxiety/disorder. I was young when the first occurred and was able to get out of it myself. I attended a group called Recovery, Inc., especially for anxiety (wouldn't particularly recommend it) and learned, even before that, to read a passage from something like the AA Blue Book to help me through the attacks. Never any problem with alcohol, but the reading helped.

My body finally gave up about 15 years ago when I had round after round of shingles. This (the 3rd time) I wanted to commit suicide. A tape played around and around in my head and I could NOT stop it. I called my neurologist and we decided it would be best for me to enter a mental hospital. No anti-virals at that time...so I was stuck with three rounds of shingles. I was hospitalized only until I could get regulated on Xanax....and it has worked like a charm. The problem is that these attacks keep getting worse, worse and worse until you do something to stop them. The onus is on you. I was in for one week, that's all.

Buspar would have continued working if I hadn't developed shingles and then experienced deaths of some of my brothers and sisters. X helped me through the worst of the illness and deaths of many more. I'm fine now, but take the lowest dose of ER Xanax in the morning and another about 9:00 p.m. I have trouble sleeping, but then I have for most of my life. One adjusts to the side-effects and it may take longer than 1=2 weeks, but unless you're suicidal, then stick with it. Oh, if you are....go to a hospital, call your doctor if during the week, just do something proactive.

Any questions, just write and I'll respond. Xanax saved my life, I haven't changed the dose in those years and no, I don't ever expect to get off it. I'm now going on 77 yrs. of age. My neurologist died, and my internist feels it's in my best interest. It's hard to get a prescription.....so I wish you luck. Yours, Lenora

Last edited by a moderator:

Shanti1

Administrator
I tried low dose abilify and it wasn't for me. I felt very dull and disconnected on it. A related medication, amisulpride, however, did work for me. I'm not prone to general anxiety, but if work gets really stressful, I use it. I also use it if my sound sensitivity or irritability get really bad. I take it only prn, not every day. Seems to really calm my nervous system.

lenora

Yes, Shanti1.......Often a second medication will work where the initial one doesn't. I was the same with the anti-anxiety meds I was on, buspar being one of them. I only took it when I felt the need, It was a blessing though, as it stopped so much despair.

True, some are just plain bad news, but just because one doesn't work doesn't mean they all won't. I do keep things to a minimum. My first anxiety attack was at age 14 and who knew about such things? I certainly didn't. I go on and wean off all my meds, whether they're psychiatric drugs or not. I've always been very careful about that. Guaranteed problems if you suddenly stop anything. Stay safe. Yours, Lenora

godlovesatrier

Thanks for the replies!

I'm still in a bit of a bad way. But continuing with my valtrex and my dietary changes. Found out that my last test result shows I have very very healthy bifidobacteria for the first time in 3 years. It was bottom of the range but now it's upper mid which is totally different. This comes from eating much closer to a plant based diet.

I figure I might be in the ME subset of patients that responds very well to a plant based low polluted (organic) diet.

Anyway doesn't do much for my stresss levels. Have not decided on medication yet my sleep is ok right now thank god. I think I may have to get a new job soon to truly pull out of this insidious situation.