• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low blood NK cells after Traumatic Brain Injury

pattismith

Neurosci Bull. 2014 Dec; 30(6): 903–912.

Alterations of natural killer cells in traumatic brain injury
Xiao-Dong Kong,1,2 Sheng Bai,1 Xin Chen,1 Hui-Jie Wei,1 Wei-Na Jin,1 Min-Shu Li,1 Yaping Yan,1 and Fu-Dong Shi
corrauth.gif

Abstract
To investigate the relationship between natural killer (NK) cells and traumatic brain injury (TBI), we tracked an established phenotype of circulating NK cells at several time points in patients with different grades of TBI.

In serial peripheral blood samples, NK cells were prospectively measured by flow cytometry of CD3− CD56+ lymphocytes.

Compared to healthy controls, TBI patients had reductions in both the percentage and the absolute number of NK cells.

Furthermore, the magnitude of NK cell reduction correlated with the degree of TBI severity at several time points.

That is, NK cell population size was independently associated with lower Glasgow Coma Scale scores. In addition, at some time points, a positive correlation was found between the NK cell counts and Glasgow Outcome Scale scores.

Our results indicate that TBI induces a reduction in the number of NK cells, and the magnitude of the reduction appears to parallel the severity of TBI.

andyguitar

You've been putting some interesting stuff up recently @pattismith When it comes to reduction in the number of NK cells what interests me is why they are reduced. Not what effect that reduction would have as I suspect something else is going on. And the something else might give us an important clue. Just noticed that CD8 (which is low in this study) suppresses CD4 which is also low in this study.

Last edited:

pattismith

You've been putting some interesting stuff up recently @pattismith When it comes to reduction in the number of NK cells what interests me is why they are reduced. Not what effect that reduction would have as I suspect something else is going on. And the something else might give us an important clue.

I think it's important to understand that low NK cells is not something that is only found in ME/CFS.
I also want to bring something to the debate about brainstem and cervical cord compressions versus ME/CFS and fibromyalgia. Are they identical conditions?

The problem with studies on ME/CFS or Fibromyalgia, is that there is no studies comparing them with a group of brainstem or Cervical cord compressions patients (either from instability or spondylosis).

On the other hand when we look at studies with cervical cord injury or compression patients, or with brain injury, we found many overlapping signs and blood findings, so these conditions seem quite similar to me.

andyguitar

I also want to bring something to the debate about brainstem and cervical cord compressions versus ME/CFS and fibromyalgia. Are they identical conditions?
I doubt it. As for studies comparing ME/CFS with brainstem/cord compression, no there are'nt any but there has been a lot of first hand accounts on this website. I think what we are seeing is similar symptoms but with different causes.

pattismith

I doubt it. As for studies comparing ME/CFS with brainstem/cord compression, no there are'nt any but there has been a lot of first hand accounts on this website. I think what we are seeing is similar symptoms but with different causes.
I hope more research will be done to solve that question!
The first thing would be to rule out Brainstem and Cervical cord compression (of any kind) in any CFS/ME and Fibro patients before looking for any other causes...Which has never be done seriously up to now

ljimbo423

I think it's important to understand that low NK cells is not something that is only found in ME/CFS.

I think it's low NK cell activity or cytotoxicity found in CFS, not actual low numbers of NK cells. I find this study interesting though. I am really interested in how TBI causes the low NK cells.

Is it direct cause from the brain trauma or an indirect cause? TBI is well known to cause gut dysfunction. So that's one reason I'm curious. Taking into account Jeff's CCI experience though.

His high viral titers for a few viruses, came back down to normal after being high for at least a few years. So it seems the brainstem compression he had was causing them.

Back