• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lots of long COVID patients reporting major improvements with lactoferrin

godlovesatrier

Ok it's happened again. Whilst I'm slowly improving from COVID I've had some symptoms that are chronic like the neck and shoulder pain + very bad cognitive issues "brain lag" not really brainfog. Fatigue in upper body as well as a lot of inflammation.

Lactoferrin didn't help with the inflammation only low dose hydrocortisone worked for that (I just did two 5mg doses a week apart to trt to help) the second dosing seems to have worked better.

I'll see how this week goes but I took lactoferrin thismorning and got all the same benefits. Haven't had to take any aspirin which is great.

lyran

Lactoferrin didn't help with the inflammation only low dose hydrocortisone worked for that (I just did two 5mg doses a week apart to trt to help) the second dosing seems to have worked better.
I can't remember if I have asked this before but have you tried taking high dose Vitamin C (regular or liposomal) with hydrocortisone?

godlovesatrier

Just played a game for 2 hours with symptoms (but not severe fatigue) took 1200mg lactoferrin beforehand I had 900mg lactoferrin thismorning. I did feel like I was crashing after an hour but the first hour I felt quite strongly neuro buffered like I wasn't going backwards too much. I'll update tomorrow to see how bad the crash is, but the lactoferrin absolutely helped. Up to this point I haven't been able to game for more han 20 minues without getting severe brain lag.

Next day did have some fatigue in legs and head was pretty bad, but I think more to the point I didn't have a severe crash, it was a mild one instead. Mostly got brainfog really. I took 600mg thismorning and the fatigue went, no neck and shoulder pain either - maybe that was a herx hard to say unless I stop the lactoferrin.

Last edited:

godlovesatrier

This appeared to stop working for me. But I took slightly lower doses I had a very bad head cold which has reactivated COVID? I think. And I've also been reacting to cedar pollen for the first time in my life. Last year was my worst ever pollen season. My winters are now better than my summers! Used to be the other way round.

Anyway I've restarted at 1500mg. Been taking 900 but that seemingly isn't enough. After taking the 1500 I felt a lot calmer but my heart rate continues to be higher than it was a week ago. I've got a new wearable so I can now track hrv and heart rate precisely but I do wish I had data from before this week.

I'll let you know if it works again. It definitely gives a boost in energy. But I noticed with this 1500mg dose that I'm experiencing a brainfog herx. So will see if that is a responder symptom.

godlovesatrier

I ran out of this for awhile and took 300mg a day for about 10 to 14 days and have been struggling with energy now for abotu 3 weeks. The two may not be related but I took 1200mg today as I bought more (£50 a bottle!!) and my neck and shoulder pain came back but I think I do have a bit more energy today. So I am thinking that the neck and shoulder pain might actually be caused by a herx as it had gone away for roughly the same amount of time that my energy has been low and I've been off lactoferrin.

@Alvin2 so expensive!

I might try taking 2g a day as well, as that still seems to be within a safe limit. I am going to try and get a comprehensive blood workup done too just to see what is going on with iron and ferritin levels. If I can afford it.

lyran

There is this liposomal lactoferrin product from Pepeior in Amazon. It contains 1000 mg of apolactoferrin in one huge softgel capsule and the bottle contains 60 capsules, costs ~20€. I am a bit sceptic that it actually contains that amount and it actually is apolactoferrin but I bought it and have taken it a few times. First time I noticed a slight reduction in brain fog and some gut irritation from it.

Last edited: