• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

List of ME/CFS Recovery and Improvement Stories

Hip

Additionally, now after taking my new medication for 3 weeks and really feeling the difference I can say that the SSRI Citalopram moved me up from moderate-severe to moderate.

Sounds interesting, thanks very much for posting you story. If these improvement maintain themselves in a few months time, I will add the story to the list.

Though it's not uncommon to see benefits like this disappear after a while. I had this with the antidepressant Wellbutrin: two weeks of feeling amazing, but then the drug just stopped working for me.

In the 1990s, when SSRIs were new, there were some ME/CFS patients who reported going into remission via SSRIs.

leokitten

Dear @Hip , I thank you whole heartedly for taking the big time and effort you put in this list and collecting information.

I think I can speak for most of us when I say that its really hard to collect and keep information with this disease because of its exhausting nature. You spare lots of us time we sometimes dont seem to have. Specially speeking for the ones that seem to progress getting worse and worse, wich was me before I came here.

I have looked at this list many times and have even considered some points as a take-away to talk them through with my doctor (I wouldnt recommend solo therapies, everyone has to decide theirself if they want to take this risk - I have took it aswell, just saying)

Additionally, now after taking my new medication for 3 weeks and really feeling the difference I can say that the SSRI Citalopram moved me up from moderate-severe to moderate. I am still mostly housebound but i would say it's 0.5-step improvement as I experience much less pain and can do minor household chores again wich I couldn't.

SSRI Citalopram may work by reducing inflammation and dampen down overreactive immune responses and may even reduce viral load in some studies (kinda inconclusive, its only suggestive)

In the effort to help other members find relief in this hell of a disease that almost caused me to try and unalive myself because i could not tolerate the amount of physical pain my body was going through I thought i would write this answer, to make sure my experience with Citalopram is added on this list and maybe help prevent a DEATH of a person.

1. Pubmed: Citalopram reduces endotoxin-induced fatigue
2. Citalopram suppresses thymocyte cytokine production

I thank you for your work. Really doing gods work out here man not joking.

Is this your first time taking an SSRI or SNRI? I got a similar but temporary improvement with sertraline, it was short-lived only lasted a few weeks. I think it would’ve happened with any SSRI it was only the first one that did this, I wasn’t ever able to reproduce it again with any other SSRI or SNRI I tried. Hope it works better for you.

Blazer95

..and we built castles in the Sky.
It is my second antidepressant but my First SSRI. I took a tricyclic AD Prior to this one.

Man you Guys really frighten me haha. I Hope so badly this stays. I can finally do my own laundry again. It so great atm being "Just housebound". May Sound weird to anyone Not having this disease haha

Hip

Man you Guys really frighten me haha. I Hope so badly this stays. I can finally do my own laundry again. It so great atm being "Just housebound". May Sound weird to anyone Not having this disease haha

Let's keep our fingers crossed that it does hold.