• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Link between genetic mutation that affects cellular oxygen sensing and the ability to exercise

Wally

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/02/200226171112.htm
Scientists find link between genes and ability to exercise
Date:
February 26, 2020

Source:
King's College London

Summary:
A team of researchers have discovered a genetic mutation that reduces a patient's ability to exercise efficiently.

In a study published in The New England Journal of Medicine, a team including researchers from King's College London have found a link between a genetic mutation that affects cellular oxygen sensing and a patient's limited exercise capacity.

The team identified a patient who had a reduced rate of growth, persistent low blood sugar, a limited exercise capacity and a very high number of red blood cells. . . .

The von Hippel-Lindau (VHL) gene is fundamental for cells to survive when oxygen availability is reduced. Following genetic analysis, an alteration on the VHL gene was identified and associated with impaired functionality in the patient's mitochondria, the powerhouse of the cell that uses oxygen to fuel cellular life. This reduced mitochondrial function efficiency limits the patient's aerobic exercise capacity compared to people without the mutation. . . .
See, Effects of Germline VHL Deficiency on Growth, Metabolism, and Mitochondria. New England Journal of Medicine, 2020; 382 (9): 835 DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1907362
We report changes in gene expression that reprogram carbohydrate and lipid metabolism, impair muscle mitochondrial respiratory function, . . .

Last edited:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
This sounds so much like ME/CFS. I wish they could find out if there is a link. I wonder what SNP ID number it has.

Back