• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Light sensitivity - anything which helps???

Shoshana

Northern USA
That's exactly what I was going to reply. Nothing helps, other than blocking all the bright light you can, in any ways you can.
the best sunglasses you can find or afford, bigger brims on hats, and household curtains or shades of some kind on windows, etc.... sometimes cloth over eyes, when nothing else is possible.

Hope4

Desert of SW USA
I had to test several different colors of lenses and kinds of lenses to find something which reduced the pain and discomfort.

I wear a sun visor all the time when I go outside. Mine is made of artificial straw and some kind of bendable plastic. It just pops on and off, nothing to fasten or unfasten. A lot of people here carry umbrellas to keep the sun off of them.

I only use low-watt incandescent light bulbs. I ask people not to show me photos or anything else on their smartphone screens. I use one 2.5-watt orange light with standard incandescent bulbs to take the edge off the brightness.

I keep the brightness as low as possible on the computer, and have the display calibrated as best I can, reducing the blue, and increasing amber. I have an amber colored theatrical light gel over the screen. (Wearing amber glasses only reduces the blue light into the eyes. The glasses do not reduce the blue light coming out of the monitor and into the skin.)

Reducing light inside for a couple of hours before I try to go to sleep helps. Also, low light for a couple of hours in the morning.

LEDs are the worst for me. When one of those cars approaches with the dotted LED headlights, I hold up my hand and block the view.

Avoidance and physical protection are the only things I've found. When it's been too much for me, I lie down in a dark room, with a damp towel over my eyes and forehead (as for migraines).

I have a space blanket covering the window to keep out brightness when needed.

I hope someone else has more solutions.

:)

Rufous McKinney

other treatments which reduce light sensitivity

I recently started a Chinese Traditional Medicine treatment (simple one) but have not been on it long enough to comment yet. I will go ahead and tell you what it is: I am not advocating that this will work yet. It may be unable to deal with this as its so complex. Anyway: Chrysantemum flower tea (very lovely and nice) with Gooji Berries.

One thing I am just needing to: go out a 4 pm and sit on this bench and let a little light happen. Its very disorienting, for me so profoundly blurry, especially when taking in the Whole Scene. Puddles in the bottom, blind walking down stairs. Gazing out far very hard. Vistas dizzying. Intensely lit anything hurts.

Carl

Yes, there are a few factors which affect the eyes sensitivity to light. One is cortisol which sensitizes the whole nervous system, making it work harder. This is very common with kidney energy deficiency which comes from prolonged physical or emotional stress. There are things which can help control this but doing it correctly is important because cortisol also increases liver function which is under tremendous strain from the extremely high detox demands of Increased Digestive Permeability. I reject the idea of "leaky gut" because it is a false idea because even a perfect ie uninfected digestive system is "leaky" by it's nature, it has to be or nothing could be obtained from food. It is an increase in Permeability which creates the problem, allowing large food molecules and waste products to enter the bloodstream which the liver has to work extremely hard to eliminate.

BTW Tradional Chinese Medicine links the eyes to the Liver and heat or inflammation in the liver and congestion cause the liver function to increase and the stress hormone cortisol to increase. Many TCM liver herbs increase cortisol production to stimulate the liver. Antioxidants and Cytokine inhibitors can lower inflammation and reduce inflammatory processes and cytokine cascade.

Cytokine cascade inhibitors in Stephen H Buhner's books:

Primary:

Cordyceps - This has sedative properties so taking it shortly before bed might be a good idea. Large amounts are required to maximize the effect, far above the recommended dosages. 6000mg is a small dose and up to 50 grams for acute conditions. Powdered is better than useless/expensive capsules. There are extracts of this but I do not know how the quantities would translate. I use this myself but need to compensate for the sedating effects during the day with Glutamate.

Chinese Skullcap (Scutellaria Baicalensis) - I do not use this because it makes my skin very dry whenever I have used it. I will use it briefly to help destroy bacteria.

NAC

Vitamin E - be sure to get the most natural tocopherols alpha tocopherol or d-alpha tocopherols, mixed natural tocopherols, gamma tocopherols & tocotrienols.

Secondary:

Bidens (Bidens Pilosa) - I did read something about this which means that I would not want to use it. Something about a very loose association with Oesophageal/Esophageal cancer. It does have histamine inhibiting effects.

Chinese Senega Root (Polygala Tenuifolia) - increases NGF production

Green Tea EGCG (EpiGalloCatechin-3-Galate) - bio-availability increased when taken with Quercetin (1200mg/day), 200mg Ascorbic Acid or 1000mg Omega-3 fatty acids. EGCG is also more effective when combined with Resveratrol (knotweed), Vitamin E and/or N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC). 100mg EGCG in a cup of tea.

Kudzu Root (Pueraria Lobata)

Luteolin - 100mg/day

I recommend that you check these thoroughly before proceeding to try any of them because I have only used a few of these ie Cordyceps, Chinese Skullcap, NAC, Vit E and Green Tea and I have not checked for toxicity of the others. Green Tea (EGCG) does have some reports of being linked to liver problems in some people. I would like to try Chinese Senega Root for it's NGF promoting effect. It does also improve cognitive function, enhances memory, alleviates neurotoxicity and has anti-inflammatory effects

As already mentioned, the liver is having to work very hard attempting to eliminate/detox the waste products flooding into the bloodstream because of IDP. Therefore something to protect the liver and reduce inflamatory processes would be helpful. Milk thistle extract usually 80% silymarin can be helpful and can also help with autoimmunity.

Selfhacked Milk Thistle part quoted:
According to cellular studies, milk thistle acts as an antioxidant by:

Activating the body’s detox hub, Nrf2 [R].
Blocking the master inflammation pathway called NF-kB [R].
Increasing mitochondrial health and activating Heat Shock Proteins, which protect cells and tissues under stress [R, R].
Increasing sirtuins, which help conserve energy, reduce aging and inflammation [R].
Neutralizing free radicals, chelating free iron and copper [R].
Blocking harmful enzymes that increase oxidative stress [R].

It lowered inflammatory substances (IL-6, IL-8, PGE2) and enzymes (COX-2) and gene expression (MMP9). Milk thistle may improve autoimmune conditions by reducing the Th17 response. Silybin had a beneficial epigenetic effect (increasing ER-beta and miR-155). It binds to estrogen receptors in white blood cells, reduces the autoimmune response and inflammatory cytokines (IL-17 and TNF-a)

The biggest problem with Milk thistle extract is getting it in Europe because of the THMPD imposed by the EU so that drug companies can ban the sale of any herb that they think has a medicinal value ie might affect their drug sales.

It is still available from some sellers because I puchased 1Kg 80% Silymarin extract with the last two weeks.

High levels of cortisol can also cause cold hands and feet. I usually know when my cortisol level is high because of cold hands and feet. Insufficient protein can cause a rise in cortisol promoting tissue breakdown. I use Tu Si Zi which has always lowered my cortisol and supports my kidneys, I use it along with Gou Qi Zi (wolfberry or often corrupted to Goji Berry).

Siberian Ginseng (Eleutherococcus Senticosus) can also lower cortisol levels by making the body more sensitive to cortisol which means a lot less is required unless there is high stress where the cortisol sensitized cells produce greater effect. It does not support the kidney like Tu Si Zi so I no longer use it, especially as it can be unpleasant with extreme stress ie low blood sugar where leg cramps become uncomfortable.
Eleuthrococcus Senticosus

Rufous McKinney

One is cortisol which sensitizes the whole nervous system, making it work harder. This is very common with kidney energy deficiency which comes from prolonged physical or emotional stress.

Wow: Carl.:sluggish::nerd::hug:

Your very knowledgeable, as this is what I am dealing with and how I deal with it (and the MD offers nothing).

so I will read thru this, now I am tired from over doing earlier.

But my understanding is that to help my eyes will require going after the Kidney Qi and thats going to mean some of the herbs I take for my severe Yin Deficiency will be undone. In other words, the ROUTE to access this eye problem issue will be hard to get at due to my other problems. And I think your describing that quite accurately.

Will respond again later after reading and thinking about all that.

- a main theory however was: Cortisol is somehow feeding this. Because basically, I wake up, and feel rather clear and kinda awake and literally within about three minutes: my eyes start pouring. They are just pouring.

Carl

Gou Qi Zi nourishes the kidney and liver Yin. It also treats photophobia which is what this thread is discussing.

Toning the Kidney Qi with Tu Si Zi should not adversely affect the bodies Yin. It does help with excessive urination which is common when the pituitary gland is damaged which it is along with the hypothalamus by the infection in one location. Tu Si Zi has been shown to increase the weight of the pituitary gland in animals along with it's toning of the liver and kidney Qi/chi.

I think that you might be mixing up Yang because that is meant to balance Yin and therefore increasing Yang would tip the body more towards Yang and away from Yin. Tu Si Zi is a Qi energy tonic but does not really affect the Kidney Yang.

Rufous McKinney

Toning the Kidney Qi with Tu Si Zi should not adversely affect the bodies Yin

Thankyou will confer with my TCM herbalist when he returns from: having a cold. I've been seeing him for many years and:he never gets sick so this is major!

I've gotten considerable improvement in IBS-d by going on the four main TCM herbs for that and its remarkable actually. and without taking probiotics or eating fermented anythings. As to whether larger molecules are passing thru the gut or permeability has been reduced, I cannot yet say. I did drastically reduce carbs around the same time, but not keto-ing. 8 years I'd been going to him never got around to mentioning the bowel inconveniences.

Trying to reduce the wobble, in my tiny little boat,, while bailing out the excess water, with a tiny spoon.

Rufous McKinney

8 years I'd been going to him never got around to mentioning the bowel inconveniences

and that was because most of the time in the last decade the bowel inconveniences were being triggered at 2-4 am out of a dead sleep and was caused by emotional dread. What I failed to realize was the BASIC condition of my gut for my whole life was: completely off and I had no idea THAT could be modified. So the 4 herbs have really helped that. But I do take them most every day. Things seem to revert rapidly (and to avoid that, I avoid not taking it).

Similarly, it was only at the last visit that the eye thing came up. But its been happening all this time, also. But always worse under emotional stress. So I pinned it on that, also. It both is, and isn't.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I noticed you have another thread about Kava Kava and I thought I read somewhere that that can cause light sensitivity.

This article says:

"Some of the mild side effects of kava usage include impairments in coordination, sensitivity to light (one reason why kava is traditionally consumed in the evening)..."

This other article also says something similar:

"The setting in which you consume kava is important. Traditionally, Pacific Islanders choose to consume kava in the evening, when the sun is set and lighting is minimal. This is because kava makes the user feel sensitive to light..."

Not sure if this will help. You may have already been aware of this but I thought I would mention it.

maybe some day

I usually wear a basball cap whenever I go outside. Always wear sunglasses to keep the glare down. Many bulbs for your home are only available in LED type. Home Depot sells soft white, or warm light type. They make a huge difference vs the "in your face" white light.

If you have to drive at night, and oncoming headlights are a glare, glance your view toward the white fog line along right shoulder of the road (im assuming your from US). The line follows road with all its curves.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Here are some notes I clipped about light sensitivity:

From http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/20...hen-022711-20110225_1_lutein-zeaxanthin-glare
10mg Lutein and 2mg Zeaxanthin per day may help.

n a 2008 study, researchers at the University of Georgia found that these two nutrients significantly increased the carotenoid content in the study participants' retinas. Participants also experienced relief from glare sensitivity. They took 2 milligrams of zeaxanthin and 10 milligrams of lutein a day. It helps if you also consume healthy foods including tomatoes, peppers, spinach, carrots and other leafy greens.

Speaking of vision, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the king of the carotenoids, astaxanthin, which has been the buzz word lately. This dietary supplement is sold by several high-quality makers such as NOW Foods, Vitamin Shoppe and NSI brands. Emerging studies on this nutrient are super-exciting, because astaxanthin can protect vision, ease arthritis and fibromyalgia pain, and improve cholesterol and fatigue.

5HTP - From Sallysblooms on PR:
5HTP did a WONDERFUL job for me and noise sensitivity.

POTS management - From Allyson on PR:
Managing my POTS helped with the noise sensitivity as adrenaline from POTS causes it for me.

ALA - From PDXhausted on PR:
[Note: ALA may lower blood sugar.]
Alpha lipoid acid helps with my light and noise sensitivity. I take it along with a bit of vitamin C for good measure, although its the ALA that does it for me.

It also helps with neurological inflammation, which I'm guessing is where my sensitivity is coming from.

I'm hypersensitive as well. I open up a 100mg capsule and sprinkle it, probably about 1mg, into a glass with some water. Then I drink it slowly. The first time I took it, I got a little of a flu-ish feeling, but it didnt happen again after that. If I still have some sensitivity, I might take another sprinkle. But again, I am very hypersensitive.

D-Ribose - From rosie26 on PR:
I have found D Ribose helpful, in that it seems to help lessen inflammation in my muscles which seems to also help lessen PEM and I think because of this also helps ease abit of the neuro-sensitivity stuff. Worth trying but D Ribose doesn't seem to work for everyone though. I have found it a great help. Anything that helps abit is soooo good.