• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lemon vs lime

outdamnspot

Lemon juice in hot water is one of my reliable 'rescue' aids but unfortunately we've run out of lemons. From an intolerance standpoint, has anyone noticed a difference between lemons and limes? I was told limes are actually lower in salicylates.

Wolfcub

@Mary might be interested in this. She has recently found lemon juice to help with excess acidity and achiness.
I will tag her in case she may have some helpful ideas.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@outdamnspot - I have no trouble with either lime or lemon juice. I have been taking about 3 tablespoons of lemon juice (bottled) in water, twice a day, for achiness and fatigue (a surprising benefit!) as @Wolfcub noted.

I haven't used limes in this way. But I use limes in cooking sometimes - e.g., I just made a lime-jalapeno cole slaw (should have added cilantro too! but forgot) and have no trouble with them.

I don't have trouble with salicylates so am no help there!

What do you use lemon juice for?

outdamnspot

I don't have an answer to your question, but i'm curious to what extent lemon juice in hot water is helping you. Does it help your digestion?

I have a lot of food intolerances and accompanying gut issues/inflammatory reactions. In addition, I am forced to eat a very low-carb, primarily meat-based diet. Sometimes -- but not always -- the lemon juice seems to partially ease the worst of my inflammation symptoms, and increase mental energy; I also suspect the carbs help, since I'm getting so little.

outdamnspot

@outdamnspot - I have no trouble with either lime or lemon juice. I have been taking about 3 tablespoons of lemon juice (bottled) in water, twice a day, for achiness and fatigue (a surprising benefit!) as @Wolfcub noted.

I haven't used limes in this way. But I use limes in cooking sometimes - e.g., I just made a lime-jalapeno cole slaw (should have added cilantro too! but forgot) and have no trouble with them.

I don't have trouble with salicylates so am no help there!

What do you use lemon juice for?

Thanks. I did try the lime juice and seemed to be okay. Re: why I use it, I replied to Thinktank above .. it's kind of a general 'feel-good' tonic for me.