• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Learn about virology with Racaniello at Columbia University - podcasts available!

Firestormm

I didn't really know where to pop this one. If like me viruses are of interest then this series of lectures might be worth viewing.

For those interested 'only' in XMRV and/or retroviruses I think it might be worth a 'bookmark' too. Note the lecture in April for example :angel:

'My virology course at Columbia University TWiV': 20 January 2012: http://www.virology.ws/2012/01/20/my-virology-course-at-columbia-university/#comments

Schedule and downloads - the first lecture is already available to view by the way: http://microbiology.columbia.edu/w3310.html

Love this cartoon:

foxtrot.jpg

Thanks. Hmmm... I've wasted much too much time learning about viruses over the last couple of years. Should I try to cement some of that knowledge with a further introductory course, or just stop now?

I might d/l and listen to them with my partner. It will be more interesting than the radio.

Firestormm

Yeah I think I will probably try and listen too. It might after all help me to sleep better!!

Nah anything to break the monotony - know what I mean? I am not well enough to get to University or College at present but I do like trying to learn and figured this might be 'cool'.

Lol 'old man' using old terminology!! Danger!! Danger!! :D

Enid

Very interesting thanks Firestormm - I'll certainly be watching - just might understand things more providing my relevant neural pathways are not down.

Firestormm

Well I have listened/watched the first lecture and did indeed find it interesting. I suppose it will be too 'basic' for some and too 'advanced' for others.

I fluctuate between the two - as per usual :eek: Though there are links to TWiV that provide more of an explanation of some points and you can always post questions there relating to these lectures. Or we could do a Q&A here of course!!

Lecture 1: What is a virus? http://microbiology.columbia.edu/w3310.html An introduction lecture and overview I guess.

Pretty good delivery system too. Am not familiar with these 'modern' recordings accompanied by the slides all delivered together like this - mine was a PC download and worked really well. Sound quality was great as was picture quality. 'Cool' :D

globalpilot

I have a general question about viruses. Wasn't sure where to ask it and then this thread appeared.

If you are able to stop the replication of viruses with say valtrex or oxymatrine etc does the cessation of replicaiton also stop the existing viruses from producing proteins ?

The reason I ask is some viruses can inhibit cell apoptosis with some of their gene products so wondering if the body can resume apoptosis of infected cells if the cell is not replicating.

Firestormm

I have a general question about viruses. Wasn't sure where to ask it and then this thread appeared.

If you are able to stop the replication of viruses with say valtrex or oxymatrine etc does the cessation of replicaiton also stop the existing viruses from producing proteins ?

The reason I ask is some viruses can inhibit cell apoptosis with some of their gene products so wondering if the body can resume apoptosis of infected cells if the cell is not replicating.

Morning global,

I think that one has to be for the Professor (or rather not for me lol). Too specific I am afraid. I have asked on his TWiV page - link above - where one can ask questions arising from the lectures and will let you know if I get a reply.

As for the more specific and perhaps general ones I would be inclined to suggest you submit them in the usual way perhaps? Again on the TWiV page you can submit questions - upper right hand corner and/or send an email.

I do find when trying to learn anything 'new' I struggle especially unless I try and transcribe whatever it is I am listening to or reading. Awful battle at university for instance. So I hope these lectures continue to be relatively easy to understand. Kind of why I 'like' Racaniello - he's pretty clear and a great presenter.

Also you get to keep the downloads and can always keep the accompanying slides etc. as pdf. files. Not that I am going to attempt doing more than I am now capable of - but it helps break the monotony somewhat and it is fun to learn even a little that's 'new'.

Right, time for 'Daddy-o' to have his nap-nap :D :D ;)

Firestormm

I heard from Professor Racaniello:

'I would be happy to answer questions - it would probably be best to send them to virology at virology dot ws. This blog post will fall off the front page soon and most won't see it. I would like to have a better way to have individuals like you register for the course, as is done for Stanford University's online offerings, but I haven't reached that stage yet. But I would share questions with the class - I think it's a good way to get them thinking about the material.'

So perhaps send in your question then global - unless of course someone here can help?

It sounds to me like Racaniello was expecting more general questions relating to his course, rather than specific ones about a treatment someone wants to try.

With something like Valtrex and CFS, I'm not sure how much anyone knows right now, even those prescribing it!