• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ladies do you ever get sensory overload when your partner cuddles with you?

Davsey27

Ladies I am curious when a man or your partner tries to cuddle with you do you ever get sensory overload?

My girlfriend who I have been seeing for a few months mentioned this to me last night when I tried to put my arms around her and moving it away.We have gone days with several hours of cuddling and she mentioned that sensory overload happens with she is at a stressful place in her life and it's nothing against me although I sense a degree of coldness and mentioned to her that typically when a partner puts arms around her and cuddled i would think it would be comforting to a woman who is in a stressful place.Even a hand on the leg at distance was too much cuddling.

After I told her she was the one invited me over inside her van she said she just wanted my presence without
any touch although we have been physical several times over the months

She says for future reference she will let me know when its ok.

This morning waking up in felt a layer of sadness and then she tapped me and said I can go back to my car and sleep as she is rearranging her van.

Thank you ladies and gents
David

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
(male) Not with respect to cuddling but early on I started having extreme sensitivity to hats and it was uncomfortable to walk. Then the photophobia, anxiety and depression worsened.

splusholia

Hello guys and gals I Hope you are doing well.

I am curious as a women when a man or partner is cuddling with you and putting there arms around you
do you ever get sensory overload?

Reason I ask is a women who I have been seeing for the past few months has phases where she says the putting my arms around her and affection is to much and will sometimes brush me away

She says this is because she is in a stressed place mentally,physically,spiritually and the affectionate touching is too much sensory overload for the body

And sometimes she just wants me in the same room with no touch.I mentioned that as a Male i took it as a sign of lack of interest because

Yes - I had that at that beginning. Touch was exhausting due to the sensory overload.

well i get it, especially if the hat is not a comfortable one. mostly i get it when it, when there is too much loud talking in the room or restaurant . or whenever i am learning something new. i get it a lot. but usually these things can be controlled.

joanie

Hufsamor

Ah, female here...
The answer to your question is: Yes! - I'm afraid....:oops:
If I'm exhausted, it's like terror to be touched.:devil:
(I have a problem with thight clothes as well. But not with hats:))

Seven7

Seven
Yes I have that issue, I have random like I don’t use pincel or walk bearfoot since the feeling kills me, scratches...
I hate the noise of my husband dry skin on my clothes ( is the noise / feeling of the movement) per say not the hugging itself.
Maybe ask her in detail to discribe what she is feeling at that moment and see if you can pin point what is causing it.
I solved mine by removing the clothes from that area, or moving his hand to bare skin.

Likaloha

Ah, female here...
The answer to your question is: Yes! - I'm afraid....:oops:
If I'm exhausted, it's like terror to be touched.:devil:
(I have a problem with thight clothes as well. But not with hats:))
I also have a problem with tight or even clothes that fit baggy....I always wear clothes several sizes too big and usually wear shorts year round as I am mostly housebound and fashion is not a priority to me!

jesse's mom

I did have that issue for some years, it is getting better as I have gotten better overall. I am not as sensitive to light and sound as I was.

I still have a hard time being touched with a repeated motion. Like when someone absently touches me in the same spot over and over. I can't stand a light tentative touch either. Hug me tight and let me go!

Touch to me is just the same as any other sensation. I have to sleep alone, or I don't sleep.

Sounds like your partner has clear boundaries about what is feeling good to them in the moment. Really there is no choice but to go with what they need.

I am sorry to hear that you are feeling sad.

My husband is right there with you! He says that is the worst part of having a partner with ME/CFS this distance the illness puts between you. He tells me he is feeling lonely. It is sad for all.