• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lactic acid at 321mmol. Is this bad?

1695156349803.png

It would explain why it feels like my body is literally wanting to shut down

Artemisia

That seems alarming. I know very little about this but I wonder if everyone with cfs/me would have similar, or just elevated, results?

That seems alarming. I know very little about this but I wonder if everyone with cfs/me would have similar, or just elevated, results?
I don’t have confirmed ME/CFS yet, my functional med clinic wrote CFS as a diagnosis in my chart but I don’t know how official that is. Been dx with POTS and possible Dysautonomia. What I do know is that since Feb I have severe post exertional malaise and I’ve housebound, now this month I have been bed bound.
I’ll let them do the diagnosis but my guess is I have systemic smooth muscle dysfunction that’s severely disrupting my circulation and digestion. I had a mutation in an enzyme that causes this rare condition showed up in genetic testing results. It explains majority of my symptoms but not sure if explains how acute my condition currently is. That’s just my main theory but I’ve been keeping it myself to not make them think I’m crazy.
And I would imagine ME patients would have elevated lactic acid as they reach aerobic threshold too quickly. As for my results, you could argue that the effort I made to get the blood draw place caused it but
1. Exercise only elevates LA to 20mmol
2. it’s a morning urine which means that level of LA was in the urine over night.

Artemisia

I wonder why this urine lactic acid couldn't be the diagnostic test for ME/CFS that seems to be required for the medical scam artists, I mean community, to take us seriously.

Artemisia

Since I'm constantly told that I don't have a "real illness" since there's no "real diagnostic test" yadda yadda. I mean since lactic acid elevation is a consequence of the type of dysfunctional energy production seen in us, it seems like this would be universally elevated. And could therefore be something to wave in the air as proof we're not all lying.

eta - anyway more to your point, yes this seems to me like a strong indicator you have ME/CFS and if nothing else shows your energy production is shunted down the wrong pathway toward producing lactic acid

eta 2 - i agree with your comment that's gone now. I hope you find some answers for yourself.

Last edited:
You might be interested in this thread as well: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...dosis-as-cause-of-symptoms-and-illness.57613/

And I agree with Artemisia. If you have PEM, you likely have ME/CFS because it seems very specific to our disease.

You could also check your symptoms against the CCC: https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Consensus_Criteria
Thank you for that link. Definitely have lots of GI issues and sounds like a possible cause.
As for the symptoms I match all except pain.
If PEM is specific to ME then I guess thats what I have.

You might be interested in this thread as well: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...dosis-as-cause-of-symptoms-and-illness.57613/

And I agree with Artemisia. If you have PEM, you likely have ME/CFS because it seems very specific to our disease.

You could also check your symptoms against the CCC: https://me-pedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Consensus_Criteria
After reading that thread my mutation would explain everything. MYLK codes for Myosin Light Chain Kinase which is crucial to the contraction of smooth muscle cells>gastric dysmotility>SIBO>D-Lactic Acidosis and would also explain PEM except through a different mechanism(dysfunctional vaso regulation)

thanks for helping with that piece of the puzzle!