• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ketotifen to spare?

Remi

Does anyone have Ketotifen to spare for a good friend of mine? Production has stopped and there is no alternative. Her symptoms are returning.

If this isn't allowed, I apologise.

Gingergrrl

Production has stopped and there is no alternative.

What do you mean that production has stopped for Ketotifen? Where you are located? In the US, you can only get it at a compounding pharmacy (in general and not b/c of COVID). The last time I refilled mine was Feb 18th with no problem, and my bottle lasts for about two months, so I would be filling it again mid-April. I can call my compounding pharmacy on Monday (they are closed on weekends) to see if they still have Ketotefin. They can ship meds within the US with a valid prescription.

Gingergrrl

She is in the UK.

Thanks and I was just curious. Was she getting the Ketotefin from a compounding pharmacy? I know that my pharmacy ships it within the US with a valid prescription but I don't think they ship outside the US. I am happy to check though on Mon.

Gingergrrl

@Gingergrrl She said UK does not have compounding pharmacies.

How does she get her Ketotefin now (if there are no compounding pharmacies in the UK)? Is it available at a regular pharmacy? In the US, it is only available at a compounding pharmacy (unless someone were to order it from Canada or abroad). It is not available here through any regular commercial pharmacy.

Remi

I think from a regular pharmacy carrying brandname meds. The factory making the tablets discontinued them and no other factory makes it. At least not with the excipients she can tolerate.

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

I think from a regular pharmacy carrying brandname meds. The factory making the tablets discontinued them and no other factory makes it. At least not with the expedients she can tolerate.

It is totally different then in the UK if you can get Ketotefin in a tablet form from a regular pharmacy. Here the compounding pharmacy gets it in a bulk powder form (I believe from Canada) and puts it into veggie capsules without added excipients. It's not covered by insurance but is worth the cost for me.

Gingergrrl

No excipients sounds good. Is it expensive?

I just called my compounding pharmacy to inquire (for myself and your friend). The pharmacist said that they have no shortage of Ketotefin in their current stock or in the future. I asked if they ship to other countries and she said no (but they do ship within California, and to some other states, with a valid US prescription). I cannot remember what I paid last time (and it varies on the number of pills you get) but my best guess from memory was that it was somewhere between $60 and $70 dollars.

Remi

Thank you for inquiring! She will only have a UK prescription. Hoping that the eye drops work for her.

frozenborderline

I think from a regular pharmacy carrying brandname meds. The factory making the tablets discontinued them and no other factory makes it. At least not with the excipients she can tolerate.
Mimaki family pharmacy still has it I think