• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ketones ++ but not glucose (BG healthy)

Shell

As some of you already know I am in one hell of a crash right now. Horribly breathless if I move around and carrying fluid in my feet, calfs, upper abdo and face. Blue feet in the mornings. Just generally knackered.
I have had bloods taken last week to test for renal and cardiac failure. I tick every Cardiac failure box.
I have to sit up all night to breathe. can't lie on left side at all. blah blah...you get the picture.
I've also had a nasty TIA.

Now weirdly I have Ketones ++ or +++ with trace Protein (so my kidney's can't be that bad) Leucocytes + or ++ and glucose trace or not at all.
I am not diabetic. My type1 son has tested my blood and it's always lovely and healthy. My pancreas seems to be one thing that does work!

But the ketones shouldn't be there. Could they be linked to epinphrine?
Also I know that ketones show up in marathon runners who have used up all the glycogen and have hit the wall. So, could all these ketones be an ME thing to do with being in crash? Is it a sign of PEM?
I can't find anything that says it goes with heart failure or kidney failure for that matter.

I'm on Candesartan, Ivabradine, Montelucast, Amitriptylene Seretide and ventolin. I can't see anything that says these can cause ketones.

Anyone got any ideas before I go to the doc next monday?
Thanks x

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
ketones is an alternative fuel source and is the main fuel source if one is on a low carb diet. even though eating no carbs or sugars you will still have blood glucose as your body can make glucose from other sources like amino acids etc low carb or low calorie diet can produce ketones?

Shell

Thaks Heaps but that doesn't apply to me either. I'm on a normal diet. No starvation of carb cravings. ( have salt cravings sometimes - not good with hypertension lol)

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
Shell,

Mostly I'm posting just to send you some :hug: HUGS :hug: and wish you luck with your doctor appointment. I hope you figure out what's going on with you. Breathlessness, edema, etc. -- it sounds horrible. :(

Re: the elevated ketones, have you looked into thyroid issues? I have a vague memory that this is sometimes associated with hyperthyroid.

Anyway, I hope your doctor helps you figure this out!

valentinelynx

Very strange. All I can think of off top of my head is that you are not absorbing what you eat so your body is in starvation ketosis. If you are indeed in cardiac failure, your gut may not be getting enough oxygen to work. Ketosis in diabetes (Type 1 only) occurs when the cells are unable to use glucose because of lack of insulin and so the liver makes ketones to use as fuel. If there is not enough glucose in your blood because of lack of absorption, then again, your body will go into ketosis. So you would expect normal to low blood glucose along with the ketosis.

I hope you have an answer and feel much better soon!

sianrecovery

God, I wish I had some good suggestions - I don't - I just wanted to say I'm thinking of you, sending love and asking the multiverse to give you a little clarity as to the next right thing to do. Big hug xxxx