• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ketogenic diet, aldosterone and salt

Mimicry

I started keto diet six days ago to see if it improves my chronic migraines, and I have a problem with salt/electrolytes. As some you might know, keto diet causes your body to dump more salt into urine, and you need extra electrolytes to compensate for that. I already have a problem with salt and keto has made it much worse. For the last several years I've had muscle aches and fasciculations, weakness, palpitations, nausea and vomiting that usually (not always, because some of those are my basic PEM symptoms) resolve with salt water (I also mix in some licorice root powder to help my body retain the salt). I need 2-3 tsp of extra salt to keep the salt deficiency and hyperkalemia symptoms at bay. Doctors refuse to test my aldosterone levels, and where I live you need a referral for aldosterone labs, so I can't just have it done without a doctor's approval.

Now, I recently read a research paper about a study where they tested aldosterone levels on participants who were put on keto diet. Apparently keto raised the aldosterone levels significantly. Do you think I should keep doing keto to see if that happens or is it too dangerous?

I would ask my doctor but they seriously don't care. I'm debating on whether I should go see a private endocrine doctor when I have enough money because I'm really getting concerned about the salt thing.

Edit. I have low cortisol levels but the results of my ACTH response test three years ago were normal so I'm guessing I might have some sort of hypopituitarism instead of Addison's disease. They didn't examine me any further or order labs to see if my ACTH levels are normal. The salt problem has been getting worse after that, especially after I contracted covid over a year ago.

Last edited:

Violeta

Has your doctor considered atrial natriuretic factor.

"Systematic studies on the significance of the secretory-like morphological characteristic of cardiac atrial muscle cells of mammals led to the finding that these cells produce a polypeptide hormone. This hormone, described in 1981 as atrial natriuretic factor (ANF), is diuretic (natriuretic), hypotensive, and has an inhibitory effect on renin and aldosterone secretion. Thus, ANF probably intervenes in the short- and long-term control of water and electrolyte balance and of blood pressure. Phylogenetically, ANF appears early, suggesting different functions for this peptide in accordance with each species' environment. Knowledge of the properties of the hormone should provide insights into the pathophysiology of important clinical entities and lead to the development of new pharmaceutical products."

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Generally speaking the diuretic effects of low carb type diets are only going to happen the first few days on the diet as excess water and glycogen are flushed out and used up. Then everything as far as hydration and electrolytes should start to stablise.
When people start these diets they can feel lethargic from electrolytes being out of whack, so its recommended to add extra salt, Magnesium glycine and eat some green vegetables for the potassium. Once you get past those first few days it's probably not as necessary. Could probably add the extra salt and Magnesium on a low carb diet if feeling abit off as it may help.

Mimicry

Has your doctor considered atrial natriuretic factor.

"Systematic studies on the significance of the secretory-like morphological characteristic of cardiac atrial muscle cells of mammals led to the finding that these cells produce a polypeptide hormone. This hormone, described in 1981 as atrial natriuretic factor (ANF), is diuretic (natriuretic), hypotensive, and has an inhibitory effect on renin and aldosterone secretion. Thus, ANF probably intervenes in the short- and long-term control of water and electrolyte balance and of blood pressure. Phylogenetically, ANF appears early, suggesting different functions for this peptide in accordance with each species' environment. Knowledge of the properties of the hormone should provide insights into the pathophysiology of important clinical entities and lead to the development of new pharmaceutical products."
That's super interesting, but doctors in Finland generally don't read research and aren't allowed to really think for themselves. Doctors have lost their licenses from prescribing LDN and hydrocortisone (that's why I'm not getting treatment even though I have hypocortisolism) so I doubt they are willing to do much even if they're presented with data like this.

Violeta

That's super interesting, but doctors in Finland generally don't read research and aren't allowed to really think for themselves. Doctors have lost their licenses from prescribing LDN and hydrocortisone (that's why I'm not getting treatment even though I have hypocortisolism) so I doubt they are willing to do much even if they're presented with data like this.
That's really sad. So sorry, I hope something works out for you.