• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IVABRADINE (used mainly off label for tachycardia) is a pain killer (HCN channels blocker)

pattismith

This is an important drug for ME/CFS patients, especially for those with POTS.

But its ability to block pain could make it one of the favorite drug for ME/CFS/Fibro.

HCN Channels: New Therapeutic Targets for Pain Treatment (2018)
….
HCN channels are activated by intracellular cyclic nucleotides [5,6], including guanosine-30,50-cyclic monophosphate (cGMP) and adenosine-30,50-cyclic monophosphate (cAMP), while the modulation of Ih (Ih = HCN current) is similar for both cyclic nucleotides, with the same efficacy at least in mammalians, the apparent affinities of Ih are 10–100 fold higher for cAMP than for cGMP [7].
….However, this cyclic nucleotide modulatory effect depends on each HCN subunit [9,10], with the cAMP sensitivity higher for HCN2 and HCN4, weaker in HCN1, and absent in HCN3 [11,12].
The cGMP has a similar efficacy to cAMP, but with a lower apparent affinity [13].
….
However, the Na+/K+ permeability ratio in HCN channels is ~1/4 and also displays asmall but significant permeability to Ca2+ ions[23]. Forinstance, at2.5mMof externalCa2+,the Ca2+ current in the native HCN current (Ih) as well as in the expression system, where channels HCN2 and HCN4 are expressed, is about 0.5% [23,24]. This Ca2+ current of HCN channels is relatively small (0.47% in HCN2 and 0.6% in HCN4 channels) compared with the fractional Ca2+ currents in other ion channels, such as the nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (2.5%) [25], glutamate receptor (10% for NMDA, N-methyl-D-aspartic acid) [26], AMPA, α-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazolepropionic acid/kainate receptors (0.5–5%) [27], CNG channels (10–80%) [28], and calcium channels (100%) [29].
However, this Ca2+ current through HCN channels may be enough to modulate Ca2+-dependent cellular functions [23,24].
The HCN channels are widely expressed in peripheral sensory neurons, neurons in the central nervous system [38], and cardiac tissues [2,3,39–41].

The HCN channels generate inward current (Ih)—a Na+/K+ current when the membrane potential is hyperpolarized, producing rhythmic electrical activity in specialized neurons of the brain [39,41,42] and in cardiac sinoatrial node cells [43].

Diverse functions have been attributed to Ih currents, including the determination of resting membrane potential (RMP), action potential (AP) firing rate, dendritic integration, and synaptic transmission [44].

HCN channel activity plays important roles in behavior and physiological process such as sleep and arousal, learning and memory, and anesthesia [38,45–47].

Misregulation of HCN channel activity has been shown to contribute to neurological and psychological disorders including pain, epilepsy, addiction, and anxiety [48–52].
….
In addition to cAMP, HCN channels are also allosterically regulated by other molecules, such as phosphatidylinositol 4,5-biphosphate, cholesterol, H+, and Cl− ions [31], and modulated by several post-translational modifications, such as phosphorylation (e.g., Src, mitogen-activated protein serine/threonine kinase [p38-MAPK], protein kinase C [PKC], and Ca2+/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II) [54–57].

Diabetic patients develop a painful diabetic neuropathy (PDN)—a chronic pain condition induced by nerve damage [86]. The molecular mechanism of chronic pain in diabetes is poorly understood, and even at present there are no effective treatments [87]. Tsantoulas and colleagues [86] investigated the role of HCN2 as drivers of diabetic pain using mouse models (for diabetes type 1 and 2). The HCN2 channel activity blockade in small nociceptive neurons suppressed the diabetes-associated allodynia and prevented the nociceptive pathway in the spinal cord in mice [86].

Also, the pharmacological blockade with ivabradine, an HCN inhibitor, reduced chronic pain in mice with diabetes. These results suggest that selective HCN2 inhibitors might be a valuable treatment strategy for diabetic neuropathies [86].

In addition, Tsantoulas and colleagues [86] found that intracellular cAMP is increased in somato sensory neurons in an animal model of painful diabetes. This increased intracellular cAMP drives the diabetes-associated pain by facilitating the HCN2 activation with the consequent promotion of firing in primary nociceptive nerve fibers [86].

Nociceptive pain involves the transduction, conduction, transmission, modulation, and perception of noxious signals to the brain[95], which are then converted into an electrical signal[96]. The electrical signal is relayed to the dorsal horn,and then to the brain via spinal projections where the information is assessed, and the appropriate response is generated[96,97].

There are compelling evidence supporting the involvement of HCN1–2 subunits in the transmission of electrical signals and the induction of peripheral pain [77,84,98–101].

Evidence suggests that the inhibition of HCN channels function results in an interruption of electrical signals; therefore, blocking HCN channels can have analgesic effects and reduces pain sensation.

For instance, the nonselective HCN channel blocker ZD-7288 (Figure 2) suppresses mechanical and thermal hypersensitivity in different models of neuropathic pain [77,84,98,99,102]. Dysfunction of HCN channel activity is associated with the development and maintenance of chronic pain and inhibition of HCN channel activity produces the anti-nociceptive effect [82,103,104].

….
However, there is also evidence that the infusion of HCN blockers in the central nervous system also generates anti-nociceptive effect.
….
Additionally, further studies where the HCN channel inhibitors ivabradine and gabapentin were used (the latter is a gold standard for neuropathic pain treatment; Figure 2), corroborated the anti-nociceptive effect [82,107]. Gabapentin, which acts by blocking voltage-gated calcium channels, also showed an upregulated activity of the HCN channels [108]. However, the gabapentin binding mechanism and how it modulates HCN channels remains unclear.

..... a wide range of volatile anesthetics (e.g.,enflurane isoflurane, halothane[129–133],and xenon[134]),intravenous(e.g.,pentobarbital[135], ketamine [136,137], and propofol [45,47,138]) agents, and adjuncts including loperamide (µ-opiate receptor agonist) [139,140] and α2-receptor agonists (e.g., clonidine and dexmedetomidine [141–143]) inhibit HCN channel activity [144], and thereby prevent membrane depolarization.
The general anesthetic propofol (2,6-di-isopropylphenol) (Figure 4) selectively inhibits HCN1 channels versus HCN2, 3, and 4 [45,138].

... Ketamine, a drug with anesthetic, analgesic, and psychotropic effects, also inhibits the HCN1 subunit in cortical pyramidal neurons (Figure 4), and its effects are attenuated in HCN1 knockout mice [136,146].
On the other hand, the local anesthetic lidocaine (Figure 4) inhibits HCN1, HCN2, and HCN4 subunits, as well as heteromeric HCN1–HCN2 channels acting in a dose-dependent manner over a concentration range relevant for systemic use.

pattismith

https://www.proteinatlas.org/ENSG00000143630-HCN3/tissue

interesting to notice HCN3 in present in skelettal myocytes

HCN1 RNA EXPRESSION OVERVIEW

1572017331007.png

HCN2 RNA EXPRESSION OVERVIEW

1572017259223.png

HCN3 RNA EXPRESSION OVERVIEW

1572017392041.png

HCN3 protein expression

1572017552989.png

HCN4 RNA EXPRESSION OVERVIEW

1572017448950.png

Celandine

Ivabradine has been a great help for my daughter who has ME and POTS. She also used to have a lot of pain. Hadn't realised we might have been getting double benefit from the Ivabradine. Thanks for posting this.

Marylib

I love ivabradine. I get it for POTS. But I have never been one with significant pain every day. That is very interesting. Thanks @pattismith and @Celandine .

I once tried gabapentin, hoping for better sleep, but it gave me a touch of hypomania, so I abandoned it. I noticed after taking gabapentin that everyday things were a bit too funny. This happened to me with wellbutrin also, as I told my POTS doc, who had wanted me to try wellbutrin again.

Last edited:
Back